do i need antenatel classes?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrsryan2be Posts: 231
Hi, looking for some advice. are antenatel classes useful and worth the money?
Sassypants Posts: 4461
If having first baby then yes. And they're free.
katiebaby78 Posts: 679
I thought they were useless! Didnt learn one thing in them. Not doing them this time!
gopro Posts: 1801
no found its crap
Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
Nah. Not if you're a dedicated follower of this forum and/or have read up on the basics. That's probably the wrong answer though. Wait'll you see. I went to two and had to leave during both for a quick puke. At the second, I left at the introduction to the tens machine, and returned during the importance of partners in their role as back-rubbers. I must've missed the bit about being given a paracetamol in this tour through the ancient hierarchy of pain relief. What's this about paying for them? Do they give you a goody bag with some paper knickers?
reine Posts: 1771
I really liked mine. I actually think they benefitted my dh a bit more than me though, as I'd been reading everything I could lay my hands on, but he was virtually pure ignorant about labour and birth beforehand. He now has a much better idea of what's ahead of us. I suppose it depends where you go. We went to Holles Street for our free classes.
babyforus Posts: 1619
I thought it was useful the first time. Don't think I need them this time.
katiemomma Posts: 2690
They are free if you attend ones through your local PHNs.Your GP/Nurse can give you info or a phone number to call to book them. They are free through your hospital too. But I know times may not suit everyone and there are private ones at other times. I would say yes do them on your first. I did them on first and with twins as had a big age gap and just felt better having done them again and definitely find its good for dh to attend them and learn a thing or two. sure you can always go to one and if you dont like it dont show up to the rest
katiebaby78 Posts: 679
Sorry, I should have added that I thought the were great at the time prob cos they were a novelty but afterwards my hubbie and myself looked at each other and said we didn't learn one thing in them.
hairdye Posts: 1129
I found the antenatal classes very useful, learnt loads. Plus I got to see the delivery suite which was important for me as i wanted to visualise where the action would happen!