Do you have to invite the priest for dinner?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lotsofsunshine Posts: 155
My parish priest will be doing our ceremony but I don't know him at all as he's only here a few years. I really don't want to invite him to the reception as he'll know nobody and I'm afraid it'll just be awkward. Is that really bad?
newyear09wife Posts: 899
ooh this old chestnut again!! i think the general consesus on here is that you [b:110psfyh]should [/b:110psfyh]offer him the option of coming and if you dont want him there hope that he will decline...whch is likely if he wont know many people. I dont know the priest that will marry us all that well, i know the pp as he has been in our parish for years and years but he is of ill health and is ot able toperform the mariage cermony. I will invite both and hope that if one comes the other will too... besides i think its nice for the older generation to have that religious symbol there...
Little Miss Chatterbox Posts: 1362
We are in the same position however out of curtiosy we are giving him an invite
Sharon2010! Posts: 64
Will defo be inviting ours think its just the done thing
wishin&hoping Posts: 3666
I invited both of mine but neither can come as there is no one to say Sat evening mass
lotsofsunshine Posts: 155
Seems like its the done thing then. So do we ask him when we meet with him to go through the paperwork? Just feel awkward inviting someone I don't even know as we are having a pretty small wedding with just close friends.
bridetobe2009 Posts: 1423
We are inviting our priest, I think its the done thing and it would be rude not to ask him.If he comes to the dinner he comes and if he doesnt he doesnt.
fifibelle Posts: 4447
We invited our priest 4 months before the wedding and he said that he wouldnt be coming as "he does not go to reception". One week before the wedding he told us that "actually he will be coming to the reception" - I was freaking out as obviously all my table plans etc. had been done and as we were having a small wedding it would going to cause me hassle. Anyway fixed up the table plans etc. ceremony went great and he said "see you at the reception". He knew dinner was being served at 4.30pm and he turned up at 5.30pm when the main course was finishing - I think that is the height of rudeness. When my mother asked him if he got delayed due to work commitments he said "no, I just know from experience that the dinners always start late". WELL OURS DIDNT! Rant over :o0
hollywoodbride Posts: 1341
We are inviting our prient he is a family friend and a good old laugh. when we called to ask him to marry us he was so delighted to be asked. So I would say he will deffenity be at the reception and will be the last one on the dance floor :) :)
Irebride2009 Posts: 211
How do you invite the priest? Is it done verbally or do you send an invite with everyone elses?!