Donation to priest?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kerrybridetobe16 Posts: 44
Hi all, we got told it's 250 Euro for our church as well as a donation to the priest. Is this normal? How much would you recommend? Is 60 too little? I don't want to seem like I'm not grateful!
futuremrskelly Posts: 220
Hey, If you are from the parish your church should be free! This is the case with me anyway. I got a printout from the parish office and it says that your should pay the priest a days wages. I've heard this can be anything from 200-300. I thought feck that i want to be a priest!! My friend only gave her priest 100, he had only asked for 50.
From the parish but don't live in the parish anymore so I suppose technically I have to pay both, just seems a lot to paddle both? X
MissyM67 Posts: 337
Our priest said just give whatever we can afford. He's lovely :)
futuremrskelly Posts: 220
I'm in the same boat - have you been living away long? I have only been gone a yr but my parents still go to this Church - so I would be questioning if you HAVE to pay? I'm not having our PP Marry us - having a priest who used to be in our Parish but has since moved on, hes a family friend so not sure if he will charge that much - will just ask him. Either way its alot of money!
Tashab77 Posts: 129
We got married in my parish and had to pay €200 for the church and €200 to the priest (he specified this amount!) I think the cost for the church really varies depending on the parish!
It's a lot of money I'm thinking maybe 100 for himself? I've been out of the parish for about 5 years but my family still are there and go to mass!
E.Rose Posts: 188
My priest said he didn't want anything and isn't charging for the church either. If you pay the weekly dues, you definitely shouldn't have to pay for the church. I read the going rate for donation to the priest is around €150 and €50 to the sarcristan.
MrsSparkle2B Posts: 1689
We have 150 to priest & 50 to sacristan, wasn't sure what to pay had no guide or reference !
Nicks12 Posts: 12
Hi I'm getting married an Saturday have to pay 4.50 has any one ever paid that much