Dress decisions!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Molly710 Posts: 110
So I think I just need a rant but all shared experiences always welcome too! I'm having a really hard time finding and commiting to a dress!! The first problem I had was that I'm a size 14/16 and clearly the samples ain't made for girls like me! I'm okay with that as had been expecting it. However... I found it very hard to get an idea of what the dresses would actually look like on me when I was squeezed into them, particularly any fitted ones that bearly went over my hips! I also felt a bit hard done by that I couldn't even try on some of the dresses cos they were just too small!! I did several shops and loads of dresses before eventually conceding that the fitted look just isn't going to work for me! So now I have it narrowed down to 2 dresses. They are both similar in some ways but different in others. One is more modern and the other is more traditional and elegant. I'm going back to see both of them next week, 2 days apart as are in different shops, but I just don't know how I'm going to decide between them!! The other thing is that one is about 3 times the cost of the other!! I think in leaning more towards the more expensive one as almost got a tear when I put it on but finding it hard to justify the cost! Cost aside I think I'm going to have a hard time finally committing to one dress! I'm a very indecisive person and have a habit of overanalysing things (can you tell??!) Any advice or reassurance much appreciated! Rant over!!
Sin16 Posts: 236
I didn't have a clue which dress I like. I said that nice about nearly every dress except ones that were a complete no of course. When I put on my dress I loved it and just knew. I never thought I would get that feeling. Just take it easy and go to another shop and keep an open mind. I did this when I was nearly sure but came back to my dress. When you ring up ask do they have any in your size. Smart brides in port laoise have a range of size also ciara rose bridal in celbridge do too.
Sin16 Posts: 236
I didn't have a clue which dress I like. I said that nice about nearly every dress except ones that were a complete no of course. When I put on my dress I loved it and just knew. I never thought I would get that feeling. Just take it easy and go to another shop and keep an open mind. I did this when I was nearly sure but came back to my dress. When you ring up ask do they have any in your size. Smart brides in port laoise have a range of size also ciara rose bridal in celbridge do too.
Knightsbride Posts: 115
Hi Molly Whatever you do, don't settle because you feel you have to, you'll only end up having regrets. I'm in and around the same size as you and have ended up going with a very flattering fitted dress. I started to panic after trying on close to 40 dresses and nearly settled for one that was the complete opposite of what I wanted. Before committing I went for a couple more appointments in smaller bridal shops and found my dress! I knew it was the one within a few minutes of trying it on and adding a few touches (belt, etc) Also, I went to a few shops that had loads of dresses in my size or very close to. My favourite shop was The Bridal Studio in Drogheda, they had so many dresses and loads that fit, and the girls there were amazing. Not sure if you're anywhere near it but if you are I'd definitely recommend going. Best of luck and I really hope you find the 'one' :-)
lorrimar Posts: 837
I found it hard to decide on the dress as well at the start but once I found THE ONE then I just new it. The dress I ended up with was the opposite of everything I went looking for but I just loved it as soon as I put it on. I had wanted strapless, corset, A-Line with a sweetheart neckline - I ended up with slightly fitted trumpet style with a closed back and straps :) As previously said don't just settle, you need to love the dress as it's a big part of the day and you will be looking at the photos of you in it for years. I am bigger than you and the shops I went to had a great range of dresses in bigger sizes. I would recommend Virginias bridal in Limerick and The Moderne bridal in Cork.
CalGill Posts: 63
Hi Molly! I was the exact same! I dreaded the dress shop - I didn't sleep the night before and had my poor fiance tormented with my insecurities. I'm a size 18 and I knew from other friends experiences that it can be mortifying! I did a LOT of research - I knew a slinky mermaid dress would do nothing for me and I was veering towards the strapless sweetheart neck with Aline skirt. What I ended up with was soooo far from that!! I went to Elody Bridal in Newry and found my dress there. Sharon has a range of sizes and had the dress I wanted to try on in a 16!!! Admittedly it didn't quite fit, but how she put me in to the dress and pinned me in to it gave me an amazing idea of what my size will look like. The dress gave me a waist and a shape and didn't make me look lumpy or frumpy or like something that belonged on a toilet roll!! When I came out in my dress my mam and sister told me not to bother trying anything else on and I was literally dancing around the shop in it! Don't settle, make sure you love what you pick. Its the dress you're getting married in :) Good luck in your search!