Exposure to Mumps

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MammaMia Posts: 33
Is this dangerous during pregnancy. One of the girls in the office has them and is in work "cause she does not feel too bad". >:o( Feeling a bit paranoid as they are the only thing I didn't have as a child. I'm just gone 19weeks.
Emme Posts: 4735
Hi Mamma Mia, don't be over stressed or worried now but as far as I know you should definitely contact your GP right away. at 19 weeks the slight risk you would have been at would probably be much less now. I know thats the case with chicken pox anyway. silly girl - mumps can cause male infertility as well.
walkingwollie Posts: 3344
Have a look at this: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1106.aspx?C ... goryID=137 You're in the safe zone, so don't worry too much. However, your colleague is being grossly irresponsible and I think you need to say something. There are major risks with mumps for other people, e.g. unvaccinated children can become deaf or have meningitis after a severe attack and it can make men infertile. I don't care if s/he feels on top of the world, to go out into the community with a disease that might wreck someone's life is just wrong. I hate these bloody martyrs who think they're so indispensible that they can't take a few days off. It's only work! I would complain to Occupational Health in my company - don't know how big your place is but I would have a word and I would say it to the manager too. Shocking. Really makes me cross.
wombats Posts: 665
I'm worried about this too because there are outbreaks in schools at the minute and we've had 1 case here. I'm only 5 weeks gone but I've had mumps before so hoping I'm immune. It's my first question for my gp on Monday, I'll get signed off if necessary.
Here here mrs. bean! I called her a selfish wagon but then took it off cause it was too harsh but in all fairness what does she think she's doing!
lobosgirl Posts: 340
Hi Girls, I was just about to post the same link as mrsbean! My DH had mumps a few months ago, and when he went to the docs, the doctor informed the HSE who in turn contacted my DH to get his work contact details. They then contacted the HR dept to ensure that all employees were contacted to advise them that a memeber of staff had the mumps and to outline the symptoms. He was off work for around 3 weeks, I can't believe this girl is in work! DH was also told by the doc, that mumps does not cause sterility in men, this is a common misconception. The doc had been given this information by the infectious disease dept in Beaumont hospital (where DH's bloods had been sent to confirm he had the mumps. If you've had the mumps already you should be immune. It's scary how many cases there have been since the start of the year. :ooh
There was some prof. of immunology on newstalk the other evening. Apparently 20 odd years ago the changed the ages of kids getting the vaccine so there is a huge group of kids who fell outside the system so to speak and thats why it's rampant in colleges at the minute. Also, we may get used to measels, mumps and the like due to the fall out in people getting the MMR for their kids because of the report linking it to autism. It's been totally disproved but some people just won't listen!
[quote="amazing mrs p":2e5qpqab] My DH had mumps a few months ago, and when he went to the docs, the doctor informed the HSE who in turn contacted my DH to get his work contact details. They then contacted the HR dept to ensure that all employees were contacted to advise them that a memeber of staff had the mumps and to outline the symptoms. He was off work for around 3 weeks, I can't believe this girl is in work! [/quote:2e5qpqab] Now I'm really mad! O:| O:| O:| Honestly, get her out of there.
[quote="amazing mrs p":3uhk1yw0] DH was also told by the doc, that mumps does not cause sterility in men, this is a common misconception. The doc had been given this information by the infectious disease dept in Beaumont hospital (where DH's bloods had been sent to confirm he had the mumps. [/quote:3uhk1yw0] I think it has to inflame the testicles and even then not all men will become infertile.. but some can (I know an older relative that this happened to). Maybe the virus has weakened over time?
MammyC Posts: 3621
Hiya! Try not to worry I was in the same situ at work a good few weeks ago. Its nothing to worry about, but see your gp if your worried. As far as I know it doesnt do anything to the baby. but that girl should be at home. The danger time though is at the start before any symptoms show. SO she isnt contagious anymore, still though either she goes home or you should take a few days off!!!