For anyone who's had pre eclampsia the first time around

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

silíní Posts: 4219
Anyone had this as well? Had this first time and worried about getting it again. I have been told i only have a 20% chance of getting it this time. Did anyone have it the first time and not the second time??
andypandy28 Posts: 553
Hi, I had it with Ds, pretty bad and was induced with him at 38 weeks. Due very soon now and have had no probs at all, hardly even put on much weight this time and no fluid, and still wearing wedding rings. Bp has been good the whole time in fact I feel great. Good luck
Babylon Posts: 334
Hi Silini - I am in the same boat as you. Had pre-eclampsia first time and DD was born 4 weeks early. My PHN said that I am not really more likely to get it this time, as the risk is associated much more with 1st time Mums than with those that had it before. I am now just over 34 weeks, and my BP shot up at week 35 last time so I am on tenterhooks to see if it happens again. Will let you know the outcome! So far so good though :wv
MotherNature Posts: 317
I had it too on my first pregnancy. It was actually only diagnosed on my due date when I went for a check-up in the hospital. I was admitted straight away and induced four days later. I was curious to see what the chance was of it reoccurring and did a bit of research. If, like me, you develop it relatively late into the pregnancy, you have a very slim chance of getting it again. I think though that if you get it very early on, then the chances increase. I didn't get it on my second pregnancy. Your PHN or GP will be better equipped to answer your questions though.
Toots12 Posts: 894
i had it in my first pregnancy last year, and DD was born 2 months early by c-section at 33 weeks. This time round, all is good so far, although am approaching the 33 week mark soon, so will keep you posted!! Consultant reckons all will be fine this time, so I'm hoping he's right.....!
silíní Posts: 4219
Thanks so much everyone! I feel a bit reassured. I got it at 36 weeks last time and was admitted and induced a week later. It was pretty bad. I was REALLY swollen. I had to take rings off at 20 weeks and had the most horrendous ankles on record. Hoping to get away with it this time. thanks so much!
lmc1978 Posts: 423
Hi Silini, I had pre eclampsia first time round but like one of the other posters here i was only diagnosed on my due date and then was induced a couple of days later after being admitted to hosp straight away. my doc said that there's a good chance it wont happen again as it is common in first time mums but they'll keep an eye out for it. my ankles or should i say cankles were so frightening. i couldnt fit into any of my shoes from 6 months on and was practically in welly boots towards the end. am due in june this time round so at least i'll have the luxury of wearing flip flops if it happens again! good luck with the pregnancy. :wv