Going private - do you also do combined care or not?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Babystar Posts: 195
I've decided to go private in Holles St. When I called to make the appointment, they said the fees cover approx 14 visits with the consultant (which I guess is all my visits). However, my Gp mentioned combined care and I think I signed a form for that when I was there (it was all a bit confusing!). I guess I would prefer to go to the consultant, so i can get the scans etc. Anyone have any advice?
Duncelt Posts: 460
Hi Babyscan - I'm also going private but decided straight away that I wanted all consultant apts - what's the point in paying for your consultant if your GP is free and then attending the GP having paid!!! Also, I didn't want loads of different doctors writing on my chart. When your consultant delivers your baby its better for him to have seen you the whole way through so he's not referring to your chart if there are any problems/complications! Best of luck with it.
Yoda Posts: 3340
I went private and also did combined care, no harm going to visit your GP as well, sure she/he will be doing the two week and six week checkups after the baby is born any way, plus all the baby vaccinations will be done by the GP/nurse in your local clinic, so it would be good to have built up the relationship with the GP/nurse, all that the GP usually does is BP checks, fundus check, fetal heartbeat and general check on you Best of luck with the pregnancy
sligo06 Posts: 513
I went private and decided not to go combined care as it was easier to get to the coombe for apointments rather than the gp and I figured that I had spent so much money that I didn't see the point in then going to gp but Yoda makes a really good point about the GP side of things that is worth considering before you make up your mind.
Yoda Posts: 3340
[quote="Duncelt":1ssjajms]Hi Babyscan - I'm also going private but decided straight away that I wanted all consultant apts - what's the point in paying for your consultant if your GP is free and then attending the GP having paid!!! Also, I didn't want loads of different doctors writing on my chart. When your consultant delivers your baby its better for him to have seen you the whole way through so he's not referring to your chart if there are any problems/complications! Best of luck with it.[/quote:1ssjajms] With the GP, you can have a combined card, different from the hospital file
neeov Posts: 4256
I went to my GP and consultant. GP also writes in the main file. To be honest my GP is great and I really trust him. I am really glad I have been seeing him through the pregnancy as he knows me already so I don't have to be explaining anything. He also has my medical records and can compare my bloods pre and during pregnancy. He also signed me off when I was unwell and it was weeks till my consultant appointment! If you have a good GP, I'd recommend you see him/her too. A regular GP may not be much of an asset.
hartley Posts: 826
I'm doing both also. Can't hurt to have the GP and consultant looking after you. Plus the GP visits are free.
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
Didnt opt for the combined care, we thought seeing as we are paying for consultant may as well get our moneys worth out of him!! GP actually recommended doing it this way too because you build up a better relationship with consultant!! Sister did combined care and paid the same fee for same consultant as I am and only saw him about 8 times, Ive already seen him 7 times and back again on monday, get a scan everytime to which is a brilliant bonus, she cant believe it and says she'd never do combined care again!! Would only actually consider combined care if I was going public or semi private, but again its everyones individual decision, do what suits you best! *)
sunnygirl Posts: 1876
not doing combined care either