Growing Babies on BBC4

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

oddwire Posts: 842
Documentary on BBC 4 now - started at nine, just tuned in.
whackywoman Posts: 1496
have set the repeat to record, was it any good? Is it a one-off or a series?
Think it's a two parter, said at the end that next week is about life outside the womb. I just caught the end of the second trimester section, talking about how diabetes can develop in the mother, and I saw the third - talking about how mother and baby are in conflict with each other! Also talked about pre-enclampsia (sp?) and genetics - how the father's and mother's genes are fighting it out between them! Lots of great images inside the womb..!
All Loved Up Posts: 135
It was informative and had some fab images but overall I though the general feeling was a bit negative, it seemed to portray the survival of the pregnancy as a battle between mother and baby. I prefer to think of what we're doing as the most natural thing in the world. Still I'll be tuning in next week!
Yeah, my husband didn't like it, thought it was focusing on the bad. I thought it was kind of fascinating, I knew it was the worst case scenarios they were talking about. She did turn it around a bit at the end though, saying that it is the most natural thing to be doing etc. I read about it that some of the theories of conflict in it are a bit controversial and not generally accepted by the medical world.