Menu

Hair colour and Beauty treatments

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

NotHere Posts: 10273
I want to start treating myself to a few beauty treatments and also want to get my haiar coloured. THe dye for my hair is brown, no highlights at all, that's safe isn't it? And for beauty treatments, I think massages are out aren't they? What about facials? Pedicures? Manicures? Think I'll treat myself to something once a month, there's a salon only a couple of mins drive from my house so I have no excuse not to really :xxs
Gallifrey Posts: 472
you should def treat yourself. As far as I know facials and manicures are perfectly fine but I think deep tissue massages are a no-no. Not so sure bout the hair colour, my SIL had them all through both pregnancies and everything was fine for her. Enjoy the treatments
Dairy Queen Posts: 3707
As far as I know some hair dyes just don't take. Most spas and beauticians do mom to be packages so I'd say there is loads you can do! Enjoy the pampering
Thanks girls. I might hold out until after the scan to get my hair coloured so I can tell them. The colour is only a shade or 2 off my natural so roots don't show, it's do-able to wait another few weeks.
Sphynx Posts: 6795
Re massages, I discovered that some places just won't give you one while you're pregnant. Deep-tissue is out as are aromatherapy massages. Also, you're not supposed to spend long periods lying on your stomach. I imagine you could have a head neck and shoulder massage though provided that they don't use essential oils on you. Manicure and pedicure should be fine. Also, lots of spas have pregnancy packages. If you check those out you'll be able sot see what's safe.
Peaseblossom Posts: 6642
my sister was told not to dye her hair whike pregnant so she used henna instead and there s a place in dublin called the pregnancy shop which offer pregnant women massages i think they have a hole cut in table for the bump
[quote="Sphynx":gkjnq6d0]Re massages, I discovered that some places just won't give you one while you're pregnant. Deep-tissue is out as are aromatherapy massages. [b:gkjnq6d0]Also, you're not supposed to spend long periods lying on your stomach[/b:gkjnq6d0]. I imagine you could have a head neck and shoulder massage though provided that they don't use essential oils on you. Manicure and pedicure should be fine. Also, lots of spas have pregnancy packages. If you check those out you'll be able sot see what's safe.[/quote:gkjnq6d0] :ooh I sometimes sleep on my tummy? :ooh
ginger nut Posts: 5989
there are some places that do pregnancy massages on special beanbags so the bump doesn't get hurt - the radisson in limavady does them according to their brochure so other radisson spas might do them too. I think aromatherapy massages are out as some of the essential oils are bad for baba but the i think the carrier oils (almond, grapeseed etc) are ok (although maybe not rubbing the bump directly). manicures/pedicures should be ok provided no essential oils used - a doctor friend of mine had regular manicures throughout her pregnancy and has a healthy 3 week old baby now who was 9lb when born so obviously he wasn't bothered by the manicures!
Sphynx Posts: 6795
Didn't mean to frighten you Flutterby! That is what a massage therapist told me. But I've been googling this for you and seems there are different opinions about this. Mostly they seem to say you're ok to sleep on your stomach until it's no longer comfortable (usually around the fifth month). And it's definitely better than sleeping on your back. But a few say that it puts pressure on your uterus and therefore isn't good. The best position apparently is to sleep on your left hand side (max flow of blood and nutrients to the placenta). How do you control that when you're asleep though? You'll have to get DH to roll you over at regular intervals !
Jeez it's madness isn't it! It's like everything in your normal life has to be re-evaluated! :o0 I usually sleep either on my tummy or left side so will have to stick to the side! Thanks for the info girls, what would we do without WOL? (& Sphynx and her googling ways!) I for one would be completely clueless :-8