has anyone used hotels.com?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

gillette Posts: 1803
I've used lastminute.com before but not hotels.com. We've a wedding to go to in July and the room was coming in at €220 (!!!) through every website except for hotels.com, which is why i booked with them. I was surprised to see at the weekend that they've already taken the full amount off my credit card, even though they say you can cancel right up until a day before arrival. Would be great to hear from someone else who's used them without any problems - i've visions of us turning up to the hotel and being told they won't honour it O-O
CestMoi Posts: 2162
I used them for our honeymoon in Canada. I can't remember if the full price was taken immediately or not, but it was fine for about 3 or 4 places we pre-booked through them (we moved around a lot during the trip). I'm sure it will be OK for you, but I haven't booked with them in Ireland before. :wv
brilliant, thanks! we've a rake of weddings on this summer so there's no way we're shelling out 220 for a room we'll only be in for a few hours!
JellySnakes Posts: 2201
Hi we used them last year for a hotel in Spain.They took the full amount straightaway i think,but everything worked out fine with them O-O
ott Posts: 3920
We use hotels.com all the time. They always take the full amount when you book. We've never had to cancel a room with them so not sure how that would work. I think it depends on the hotel concerned.
That's great, thanks everyone
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
I was actually looking into hotels for my brother the other day in Liverpool. Hotels.com was coming up the cheapest but when I went into book it was saying it would take the full amount. When I looked down the bottom it said because we are offering this hotel at such a reduced rate there is no refund on it..... or words to that effect
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.htm ... 7662&rooms[0].numberOfAdults=2&tab=description&arrivalDate=26-03-2010&hotelId=124469&lat=0.0 Here you go. All though it says on the rate that there is no cancellation fee, if you scroll down to the end it says this is a non refundable rate. Bit of a scam imo
cherries on top Posts: 521
I use them alot, always the cheapest. Have never had any issues. The only problem as you said they take the full amount, with that if you need to cancel it can take up to 4weeks to receive a refund, I've never had to do that but a guy in work did and it took ages getting the funds back. He got them back but it took awhile. So if you are not bothered about that and don't plan to cancel then it shouldn't be an issue. I would recommend them ETS re scarletts post, I don't think its a scam, its only "some" rooms that are non-refundable and they are only about 10eur cheaper than the normal price. So if you are sure you won't cancel and want to save a little be extra then its ok. Not all rooms are like this and I find it is marked v clear if the room is non refundable
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
We've used them for loads of holidays and never had any issue with them. Found them much cheaper than other sites and even with going straight to hotel sites. A few weeks ago we stayed in The Hilton just opposite Darndale (not sure what the hotel address is) and it was a last minute booking. The Hilton website was advertising the double room with buffet style breakfast for something like €169. I was refusing to pay that price considering the reason we had to stay over. Hubby went onto Hotels.com and we got a double room with breakfast for........€59, [b:1t4yratf]€110 cheaper!![/b:1t4yratf] WTF!