Hospital Appointment

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Due back this Monday again to the Hospital where is the time going :ooh Anyway will the birth ie...pain relief etc..be discussed with me? nothing has been said to me at all and now its getting close im concerned
Munchie1 Posts: 50
Holles street covered this in their AnteNatal classes. I would assume that most anteNatal classes would cover this type of thing. Espically as if you are have a straight forward delievery you may only be dealing with a Mid-wife, not a consultant.
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Thanks for the reply but im doing the class privately so it wont be in the hospital? how does the hospital then find out what I want to do etc..?
Tigletts Posts: 2904
Hi Mama.... all that was discussed with us during the antenatal classes we did in the hospital (Rotunda) not actually with the Dr on the visits. That was one of the reasons I wanted to do the classes in the hospital I was giving birth in not elsewhere. As the Dr on Monday though, one of the midwives at least should be able to go through things with you. Good luck :wv
[quote="Mama Dora":2jxkuufz]Thanks for the reply but im doing the class privately so it wont be in the hospital? how does the hospital then find out what I want to do etc..?[/quote:2jxkuufz] If you're sure about what exactly you want/don't want you need to do a birth plan in that case afaik. You should try and speak to one of the midwives in your hospital though to be sure.
Munchie1 Posts: 50
I think they do it gradually, you start with the gas and air, the pethidine if you need it. The epidural if you want it. The ante Natal classes should cover the side effects of each option. Benefits and disadvantages of each. IMO this is the type of information that the antenatal classes is for. I would also recommend doing them in the hospital, as I learned in holles street you can bring in aroma therapy oil. Music, they have gym balls etc. Nice to know what the hospital supply and what you need to bring yourself like a TENS machine. If you do your antenatal classes privately I'm not sure how you find out about your hospital specifically. I would suggest that you ring the hospital as your consultant may not know.
breeze Posts: 1175
I was only talking about this with DH last night. im not as far along as you, but im going to right down what i would like to happen. I had an emergency c section(i was 18yrs old) last time and it was all rushed, i didnt know what was going on at all nobody explained anything to me, so that would be my main worry at the moment. On my next visit i will be asking these questions and many more probably.
[quote="breeze":27gcxcs8]but im going to right down what i would like to happen. [/quote:27gcxcs8] I would imagine it's very hard to dictate what you'd like though as all births are different, and nobody can say beforehand how it's going to go. I would hope that things have progressed now from 18 years ago when you had your first child. That's why I found doing the antenatal classes in the hospital good, as you get to meet the staff who actually work there, and get to visit the delivery suite.
Re reading that I come across as being sanctimonious :-8 :-8 :-8 Wasn't my intention..... too tired today I think Mama, try and talk to one of the midwives in the hospital, I'm sure she'll explain all to you. :wv
Hepburn Posts: 4081
Mama Dora bring it up yourself. If it's playing on your mind you will feel better afterwards.