How much do you save a month

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Positive2012 Posts: 481
We can barely save a thing by the time the mortgage, bills, Petrol, food comes out we are left with a small amount allowing us maybe a night out a month if we're lucky. We are both working full-time and yet we are still counting the pennies wondering if we can go out for dinner, go to the cinema etc... Do ye all try and save a bit every month?
Jawl Posts: 8881
I try to save 600 a month, but I can tell you since all of these private sector pay cuts in the past 2 years, it doesnt' last very long in teh savings account :weep
mammymcphee Posts: 4477
for the last few months we have only been able to save our christmas club every month, thats 20 quid a week between us, so at least for christmas we have 500 euro each, a couple of years back we wud have had 1000 each at christmas, Im sick to the teeth of being broke :weep :weep :weep :weep :weep :weep
Positive2012 Posts: 481
I hear ya Jawl, before all the cuts i could save around 5-600 a month but now i'd be lucky to save 20 a month. O:| I'm sooo sick of being broke too
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
A big fat €0... No disposible income to save.
Synergy Posts: 2768
We're constantly paying out for something, never have enough for saving. I'm only grateful that our bills are paid, the kids are happy and there's food on the table. Good friends around you is all the entertainment we need :)
Sassypants Posts: 4461
We were saving €250 each for the wedding. Now that that's over we're taking a little break but then we'll go back into saving. I have a huge credit card bill I need to pay off so the break is for us to do that. Before I met my husband I had never ever had savings.
PussyGalore Posts: 3388
I'm not working so I can only put €50 into the credit union every month which I'll end up using for road tax or whatever in a few months, great to have it there though for when you need it. DH is great about saving and he's working which helps, he was putting €100 a week away coming up to the wedding however, I'm about to come off disability (ankle is nearly 100 per cent finally :o)ll ) and I'll have no income until my business kicks in so his savings might take a hit. We owe €5k to several friends so we want to get that paid back asap
ShutterBug Posts: 1056
A big fat zero! Have never been a great saver but used to save about €250 a month but like others with all the paycuts I dont have a lot left over anymore. Any money I do save seems to be going towards something, we are invited to 6 weddings this summer, so very little gets put into long term savings at the minute. Im getting there tho, I chopped up the credit card and got one loan for it and my car and I have made a budget which I am trying my best to stick to. So things are a little better and once the summer is over,and everything is ok in work I should be able to start some proper savings.
Twirl Posts: 5598
I have not been able to save a penny so far this year and all my savings are gone too. WE had so much expense at the beginning of the year. BUT from this week onwares im hoping to be able to save €70 a week for the holidays and christmas. That leaves me with no money for myself but we need this holiday. I hear you all with being broke i am so sick of it too, even to meet friends for lunch now i need to know in advance so i can put away €20. Its crap. Fair play to some of you being able to save so much before hand, before i had to buy my car i was saving between 120 to 150 a week but now that goes on my car loan and wedding loan :weep