How much for wedding present?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mamam Posts: 724
Hi just looking for advise on what the going rate is for money as a wedding present its a close friends wedding and not sure how much to give them was thinking €100 is this too much or too little dont have a clue?
lux Posts: 6270
As a couple we give €150 or €200 depending on the closeness of the friendship. When I went to weddings alone I gave €100. We got a range of cash, from €50 for one couple to €300 from a single aunt. The majority for couples was €150-€200 and singles €100.
1210 Posts: 203
Same as, we got from €50 from some couples to €400 from close friends. We'd generally give €200 to €400 depending on closeness of friendship. :wv
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
Give as much as you can afford. There is no set rate. For our wedding we recieved gifts ranging from €50 to €200 in general and a couple of hugely generous amounts above this. I think €100 is plenty, we couldn't get over the generosity of our guests. €100 is plenty.
mamam Posts: 724
Thanks a mill girls for all your replies girls, we are invited to wedding she's having a small intimate wedding with family & close friends only but DD will just be 2 weeks old and I cant bear to leave her as she's so small and the wedding is a good bit away from us feel bad enough about not being able to make the wedding without not giving them a decent present thanks again girls :thnk
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
I was only thinking about this kind of thing over the weekend. We're broker than broke, yet hubby feels that we HAVE TO accept all wedding invitations. We got invited to a wedding in July, after much "discussion" about this particular wedding, I've refused to go to it, so hubby will be on his own with all his p1ss-head work colleauges - can't find the LOS rant I wrote about it a while back :duh: When we get an invite and the subject of present comes up, first thing hubby asks, is "how much did they give us" I still have the list of who gave us what, so it was easier to write out the thank you cards. This moron who's wedding he's going to, wasn't invited to ours as hubby didn't know him back then. It just grates me that 1) he is going to this wedding after what this little blx did to him and 2) we literally do not have the money to go to this wedding - hubby wants to stay over in the hotel, even though we only live about 20mins away (added expensive of accomadation!) This pr1ck doesn't deserve a present from us, or for us to turn up, yet hubby can't see this - even though he's admitted that I have a valid point. Generally we give €100, but if it's family, we give more. My sister is getting married at the end of July, saw her wedding list for the first time last night. Sorry sis, I know you're family, but no way could we get the Stella 5-pce pots for €495!!! I think we'll be aiming for the €150, again, that'll be a struggle to come up with :o( I think you shouldn't feel under pressure to give a large sum of money, just because that's what most people do - still trying to drill that into hubby!!!! :duh:
nelswife Posts: 3869
[quote="Smileykaz":2sd4ectg][b:2sd4ectg]Give as much as you can afford. There is no set rate[/b:2sd4ectg]. For our wedding we recieved gifts ranging from €50 to €200 in general and a couple of hugely generous amounts above this. I think €100 is plenty, we couldn't get over the generosity of our guests. €100 is plenty.[/quote:2sd4ectg] +1 on this...we got from €40 from some couples, €50 from others right up...and others gave presents such as vases, glasses, etc give what you can afford!!
grazia Posts: 740
If your not going a €100 is generous & plenty. We would generally gicve €150 -200 (more if close family)
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
[quote="Wibbly Wobbly Wonder":3at7267i]Sorry sis, I know you're family, but no way could we get the Stella 5-pce pots for €495!!! [/quote:3at7267i] [img:3at7267i]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked019.gif[/img:3at7267i] Shocking!
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
[quote="Angel Doodle":1vj1a3tw][quote="Wibbly Wobbly Wonder":1vj1a3tw]Sorry sis, I know you're family, but no way could we get the Stella 5-pce pots for €495!!! [/quote:1vj1a3tw] [img:1vj1a3tw]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked019.gif[/img:1vj1a3tw] Shocking![/quote:1vj1a3tw] I know, I was gobsmacked when I read that. I'd be afraid to use them, knowing me, I'd drop/break/lose them! :duh: :o0