How weeks pregnant can you get a massage? Advice please

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

rockstar2012 Posts: 299
Hi Just wondering how many weeks along pregnant do you have to be to get a massage? Thank you
Dovetail Posts: 293
It may be determined by a number of things. I'd say lots of therapists may refuse to touch you till 12 weeks. Others may not feel comfortable working with pregnant women at all (as was my experience). I don't think there's anything intrinsically unsafe about massage - in fact there's obvious benefits for relaxation etc but you do need to be cautious about the use of particular oils and particular pressure points. Perhaps consult the therapist you plan to attend?
Poppyseed Posts: 513
Hi, I tried to book treatments when I was around 6 weeks but the spa said their policy is not take pregnant clients before 12 weeks. Like Dovetail said, best to speak to the spa you plan on attending!
bluepolkadots Posts: 1237
Yes 12 weeks and unfortunately if you like a firm massage as I do it's just not the same in pregnancy. The pressure has to be a lot lighter when pregnant. And depending on the equipment they have you'll either taje turns lieing on your left and right side or lie on a special contraption thing that supports your bump. I've had a couple of facials during pregnancy and enjoyed those more as like a quite firm massage! Looking forward to a good one when I can manage one after LO arrives!
corkiegirl Posts: 825
I went for one the other day and the spa's info said recommended once a month in the first trimester, twice a month in the second trimester and every week in the third trimester. (I tried to convince DH that I should stick to those guidelines but he wasn't having any of it!) I was surprised that they recommend them in the first trimester as the other two places I've been too while being pregnant, have said not until after 12 weeks. I'd agree with BluePolka on the positions though. The other day I was lying on bean bags and it was very comfortable but I was asked to sit up in one of them while they did my back and shoulders and I wished I hadn't bothered as I didn't find that good or relaxing at all.
wowza Posts: 556
I got one when I was 6 weeks. some places might not do your back early on and some will just reduce the pressure.
ninja next Posts: 1548
I had one in a hotel spa at 6 weeks no problem. I had no bump yet so was able to lie on my stomach.