I'm confused

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Just rang the hospital about my blood count that was taken on monday and everything is fine. The lady said now keep taking your iron tablets every second day ??I told her that I wasnt taking iron at all and she said that I should,I asked her about the Spatone and she said it has very little iron in it and its not suitable during pregnancy?? WTF is going on.............getting annoying now should I or should I not take some sort of iron tablet? :o( O:|
charli Posts: 5994
i know i had to take Galfer in first preganancy for a time - around same many weeks gone as you actually id say perhaps thats the only one suitable to pr women?
I think she mentioned that one,im afraid though too much is harmful isn't it?why cant a doctor just say yes take it and then I will.... The doc on Monday said to increase my intake of red meat but I dont eat it at all really so the bit im getting from foods seem fine but im just so tired all the time :o(
Christmas B Posts: 6191
[color=indigo:1p63bab5]That's frustrating seeing as your own doctor didn't tell you that you should be taking it and now this lady did!! Galfer iron was also recommended to me too but I found no difference in the sleepiness that I'm feeling!! It just made me constipated TBH!! It was my doctor who told me to take it and he said every day. I only took it for 2 weeks, couldn't handle the constipation!![/color:1p63bab5]
Bumpalicious Posts: 512
Spatone is definitely suitable in pregnancy, Mama Dora. I wish they would just be clear on the iron issue, it's all so confusing. I came off it because I felt like I didn't need it, I think a certain amount of tiredness is normal enough in pregnancy. My doc and consultant don't seem to mind whether i'm on it or not...
[b:1wqaacij][quote="MrsOctoberBride":1wqaacij]Spatone is definitely suitable in pregnancy, Mama Dora. [/b:1wqaacij] I wish they would just be clear on the iron issue, it's all so confusing. I came off it because I felt like I didn't need it, I think a certain amount of tiredness is normal enough in pregnancy. My doc and consultant don't seem to mind whether i'm on it or not...[/quote:1wqaacij] That comment of hers really knocked me for 6 because I was even about to buy it yesterday in the chemist but was advised to wait for my results today ;o( ...grrrr I really dont know what to do
Sphynx Posts: 6795
My doc told me to only take iron if my levels showed up low in the blood tests and they haven't so far so I haven't bothered. I think they tell you not to take it in the first 12 weeks because it can contribute to nausea. Think I'd check with my doctor.
[quote="Sphynx":1m1bznne]My doc told me to only take iron if my levels showed up low in the blood tests and they haven't so far so I haven't bothered. I think they tell you not to take it in the first 12 weeks because it can contribute to nausea. Think I'd check with my doctor.[/quote:1m1bznne] I have and my levels are fine-but im shattered all the time?
mammybean Posts: 10364
i think they used to make you take iron regardless, so maybe she is old school? if your blood is fine then you dont need it, maybe ask ur GP?
Sphynx Posts: 6795
What about taking Pregnacare - maybe you're not getting enough vitamins etc in your diet? I'm sure I'm not either but haven't been taking any supplements. I do feel exhausted a lot but have been putting it down to all the extra weight I'm carrying. My doc recommended Pregnacare and I *think* there's iron in it too, though not as high as in something like galfer.