Irish Independent headline on website

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sugarkk Posts: 1384
Haven't been on here in a while let alone started a thread but am I alone in thinking their is something wrong in this headline on the Irish Independent's website today: "Man 'raped' in city centre attack" It's really grinding my gears and I just wanted to see if I was overreacting. I think the use of the commas around the word 'raped' is really inappropriate. Shouldn't it be "Man allegedly raped in city centre attack" or "Man assaulted in city centre attack"? The commas make me think that they are doubting the possibility of it or something. I know this is mainly a grammatical question but it's a serious subject matter - if that man sees that headline would he feel that his allegation wasn't being treated seriously? Would the headline "Woman 'raped' in city centre attack" ever be used? Surely if they wanted to say allegedly they could just say that - it's the website, there's not a space issue as there would be in a publication. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts or if I'm alone on this one. It just really struck me.
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
Oh wow those inverted commas are very dodgy, I totally agree SugarKK :eek I'm imagining someone saying the sentence and then using their fingers sarcastically when they come to the word "rape", the sentence looks so snide somehow. I fully agree that it should say "allegedly raped" or something similar. I remember a conversation with a friend when I was back in college about male rape, and my poor innocent brain couldn't understand the concept at all :-8 I think there is a lot of ignorance around the subject, and huge amounts of shame. Headlines like that just add to the ignorance IMO.
Snide, that's the word my stupid brain has been searching for. That's exactly what I mean, Cabbagehead. I've tweeted them about it but no response yet. It's such a popular website and to have that snide (thank you) remark on it's home page is just so disturbing when it's such a serious assault that allegedly happened.
Flower Girl Posts: 1645
Yeah, there's something nasty about that. "Man allegedly raped" would be much better. It's a much less serious story, but did anyone catch that Daily Mail headline the other day - "Sienna Miller 'gives birth' to baby girl". I couldn't for the life of me understand what the inverted commas implied. Apparently it's just that the story wasn't confirmed yet, but it looked really weird...
[quote="Flower Girl":22vcft9d]Yeah, there's something nasty about that. "Man allegedely raped" would be much better. It's a much less serious story, but did anyone catch that Daily Mail headline the other day - "Sienna Miller 'gives birth' to baby girl". I couldn't for the life of me understand what the inverted commas implied. Apparently it's just that the story wasn't confirmed yet, but it looked really weird...[/quote:22vcft9d] That is so strange - maybe these air quotes mean something else in journalistic terms? But I'd read that headline as "Sienna Miller says she's given birth but we don't really believe her". Maybe these commas mean "alleged" in journo language and we just haven't caught up on it??
katief Posts: 1900
That's disgraceful. Even if it were a man or a woman, they should have reworded it. Rape is rape. It doesn't matter what the gender is of the victim.
Agree katief, I can't imagine the outrage if the headline was "Woman "raped" in city centre attack". If anyone is on Twitter and wants to let them know, it's @independent_ie
Jacqueline Hyde Posts: 1145
+ 1 To the above. It belittles a very serious situation and only adds to the stigma/shame/lack of understanding in relation to the topic. It would NEVER happen if the story was about a female.
jamjars Posts: 1721
This is a completely inappropriate use of the quotation marks, however I don't think this has anything to do with it being about a male victim. The article reads like any might about a similar crime about a female; alleged rape is used in it, along with a description of the attacker and an urgent plea for witnesses.
Reader Posts: 43
I think the commas are used in this instance as, to the best of my knowledge, a male cannot be charged with raping another male. The actual crime is buggery. The journalist used the word rape to describe the lack of consent to the act in question.