Is blue cheese dip safe when pregnant

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sparklie100 Posts: 191
Hi All, Really hope I'm freaking out over nothing... Having serious cravings for chicken wings lately with blue cheese dip...but is the blue cheese dip safe? Thanks all :wv
Luka Posts: 1904
Hi Sparklie100, MIght be worth giving your GP a ring to ask. I know soft cheeses like Brie & Camembert aren't safe as there is a risk of Listeria, & with raw or undercooked meats, it's the toxoplasma virus. I say if in doubt, then don't eat it, but as it's a dip, might be worth asking your GP. THe peace of mind would be good :)
MrsDr Posts: 1316
I think its safe if its used in cooking. My hubby used to make my fave pasta dish when I was pg and it had a stilton sauce, yumbos :lvs :lvs
Mustang Sally Posts: 394
Probably safer to give it amiss. Soft cheese and cheese from unpasteurised milk including blue veined cheese are not recommended in pregnancy. Better off not taking the risk?
PaniniRoses Posts: 3628
If it's a commercial dip, in a jar or tub, I'd probably go for it. Mind you, I'm taking a few more chances this time round :innocent:
redroses Posts: 714
My two little ladies were hospitalised with septicemia cause by listeria, when they were two weeks old. Something i ate(more than likely ham) contained the listeria bacteria, was in my system and passed on to them. we nearly lost the two of them and my god they were so sick. Anything that is not recommended is done so for a reason and i wouldnt take the chance. The guilt i felt looking at them when they were so sick was unbearable.Thank god we got them in time and the emergency services were just unbelievable. they have no lasting side effects or damage. I watched what i ate during the pregnancy so i dont really know where it came from. Listeria is very rare and was unheard of in years in the peads ward but it is a deadly disease and warnings are there for good reason.
Allingoodtime Posts: 200
So what about Philadelphia girls? Does that count as a soft cheese & one we shouldn't eat?
babydust2012 Posts: 4736
Phili is perfectly fine as its made from pasteurised milk, I'd stay clear of the blue cheese dip Have a nose at this link http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/n ... eseexpert/ [quote:jjrnnzwa]These cheeses are not safe for you while you're pregnant: Soft, mould-ripened cheeses, such as brie, camembert and chevre (a type of goat's cheese). Blue-veined cheeses, such as danish blue and stilton. Even if these cheeses are pasteurised, they still aren't safe to eat. That's because they are more moist and less acidic than other cheeses. It's this moistness and acidity which provide the perfect environment for listeria bacteria to grow. [/quote:jjrnnzwa]
sparklie100 Posts: 191
Thanks for the replies - I've only had it twice and in very small quantities.. I'll stay away from it from now on xx