Joint accounts

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sodapop Posts: 3220
Hi ladies, just wondering how many people have joint accounts? We dont have one and now that we are married people are saying things like "dont worry about the cost, you have a joint account now - wink wink" - I was not even considering getting a joint account. I like having my own money and keeping an eye on it - Hubby has his own account and that's his business - now of course we discuss all things about money and we share the bills - some from my account some from his - but I like it this way (we've been doing this for 8 years and its always worked). Are there are advantages of joint accounts????
mrsmcdreamy Posts: 880
No we arent going to bother joining our accounts. We do have a joint mortgage account but thats it. Its way too much hassle joining them I think. In the AIB you cant just add your husbands name to your account or vice versa. You have to actually close ye're individual accounts and open a new one. It was just going to be too much hassle setting up all new direct debits etc... However the OH is the money man in our relationship. So he looks after the two accounts on internet banking.
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
We've had a joint account since day one of buying our house. We also have our own personal accounts - mine just has tumbleweeds in them, money don't live there anymoooooore. :duh: All our bills are taken from the joint account, it's just easier for us that way. Ever since I was knee-high to a grasshopper, Mum has drilled it into all of us, that it's important to have your own bank account, as well as a joint one. She rightly says, that just because you're married, doesn't mean that you lose your independence. Every now and then, hubby suggests that we just pool all our money into the joint account. I don't want to, for the reason that Mum said. What if I wanted to surprise him with a gift or weekend away, if all our money is in the one account - he'd see the transaction.
Sodapop Posts: 3220
[quote="Noodlehead":229fiazd] What if I wanted to surprise him with a gift or weekend away, if all our money is in the one account - he'd see the transaction.[/quote:229fiazd] Good point! We would open a joint account for savings but for that reason only. too often I hear of couples who are arguing and one goes to the ATM to find their joint account practically empty!! :eek
Mrs Rocket Posts: 1824
Joint account for mortgage and our own as well-works out fine
MichelleMyBelle Posts: 1270
We have our own personal accounts, and a joint account. Every month we both transfer a certain amount to the joint, which is where our rent and bills come from. This way we can both see what has been paid, and also whatever is left in our personal accounts, we know is ours to spend as we like.
Robin132 Posts: 10
[quote="MichelleMyBelle":shnv3k5r]We have our own personal accounts, and a joint account. Every month we both transfer a certain amount to the joint, which is where our rent and bills come from. This way we can both see what has been paid, and also whatever is left in our personal accounts, we know is ours to spend as we like.[/quote:shnv3k5r] This is the way we do it too (kinda). The "joint" account is actually in my name and we both pay money into it and it is used for all our bills and anything extra is savings for us as a couple. It was just easier to use an account i had open anyway and it also means the OH wont be tempted to spend the "savings" as he has no idea what is in it and he likes to keep it that way :o0 we both also have our own accounts for our own money.
Robin132 Posts: 10
[quote="MichelleMyBelle":18va3zmi]We have our own personal accounts, and a joint account. Every month we both transfer a certain amount to the joint, which is where our rent and bills come from. This way we can both see what has been paid, and also whatever is left in our personal accounts, we know is ours to spend as we like.[/quote:18va3zmi] This is the way we do it too (kinda). The "joint" account is actually in my name and we both pay money into it and it is used for all our bills and anything extra is savings for us as a couple. It was just easier to use an account i had open anyway and it also means the OH wont be tempted to spend the "savings" as he has no idea what is in it and he likes to keep it that way :o0 we both also have our own accounts for our own money.
Twirl Posts: 5598
We dont have a joint account for a mortgage, it just comes out of DHs account. I have to say i was totally against ever having a joint account until a few years ago we were saving for a holiday and instead of buying each other presents we put €200 into an account. I have to say it is brilliant and i love having it there ( even though its a massive loan at the minute ). We have 2 credit union accounts each and a joint in one of the branches and i am going to open a joint account in April in the other branch, just saving €10/20 a week towards christmas which i will split between us.
FlexyDee Posts: 4904
We don't have a joint account either. I manage both accounts online.