Let down by Wedding Singer

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

wonderbride2009 Posts: 3
Im getting married in less than 3 months and during the week I got a text from my wedding singer (whos is advertised on this website for the Limerick area) saying that she cant attend on my wedding day as she has now decided to go on holidays. I had her confirmed back in June of last year and she hadnt even given me the courtesy of ringing me, just sent a casual text. I didnt have a deposit paid because she told me I could pay her on the day.... I dont know if this non-deposit thing is the normal thing with wedding singers but girls I would highly recommend sending them one. Even though I had everything confirmed on email etc it still didnt make a difference. Luckily for me I was able to contact another girl who will do it for me... but with less than 12 weeks to go you can imagine I was VERY VERY UPSET!!
CestMoi Posts: 2162
Oh you poor thing! Glad you got it sorted. I'm off to confirm our band for 3 weeks time now, I sent a deposit by cheque and photocopied the letter and cheque. He confirmed by text, which I was concerned about but let it go. Hopefully everything will be fine.
sunny505 Posts: 1807
Think it's really not on. If she needed a deposit to confirm then she should have asked you for one. Would you mind pming me her name. I have wedding singer booked in Limerick area who is also advertised on here. Thanks.
Sinead Nic Gabhann Ceremony Singer Posts: 1274
Hi Wonderbride, Very sorry to hear about that cancelation. That is very unusual. We supply to the Limerick area, so give us an email, we might be free if you are interested. If not we can help you source someone else from our contacts. Don't despair we will get you church music for your wedding. Hope we can help. :thnk
redroses Posts: 714
That really isint on, the supplier hasnt shown you much regard or professionalism. If it was the other way around and you cancelled them they would probably want their fee. You just dont do that and to send a text of all things, she hadnt even the decency to call you. At least now you have gotten some boby else to fill in and you can relax, you are prob better off that they pulled out.
Caroline Fraher Posts: 480
Wonderbride2009 I'm so delighted you managed to get someone - I can only imagine how distressed you were when you got that text!! I can't believe that supplier hadn't even the decency to tell you over the phone - it's extremely unprofessional. If we all decided to cancel weddings just because we decided to go on holidays, we'd be the most unreliable wedding suppliers out there!! I can't understand how she couldn't head off on holidays after your wedding, like the same day or even the day after. Something similar happened me this year - I've a wedding in July and the choir I sing with are heading to Rome to sing in the Vatican - they are going out the Wednesday before but because I've a wedding on the Saturday, I'm going to head out after that. We are singing at Sunday morning mass at 10.30 - my flight gets into Rome at 9.45 and I've to make a mad dash to the Vatican :ooh :ooh But I really felt I couldn't possibly cancel the wedding because they'd asked ME to sing, not anyone else - I've an obligation to do the wedding and I'm only too happy to do it because as far as I'm concerned, it's an honour to be a part of someone's wedding day. It's a huge occasion and should be treated as such by all suppliers, which I'm sure it is by the majority. And I'm also quite surprised she didn't even offer to find a replacement for you - it should've been the least she could do. As regards deposits, I don't accept them either but it's not because I don't take the bookings seriously or feel that because I've not received a deposit I can cancel whenever I like - I simply don't take them because I like receiving all the money on the day (it's a psychological thing :o0 :o0 ). As far as I'm concerned once someone asks me to sing and they're in my diary they're booked and there's no going back on it. Sorry for going on a bit - I was just really shocked at how unprofessional this person was. Caroline :wv
SiobhanOliverSoprano Posts: 3150
hi wonderbride2009 - glad to hear you're sorted out but what a way to be treated. I'm afraid I've heard of this happening before and it's just unforgiveable. Can I please ask you if you would PM me the name of the supplier as I recommend a few people from Limerick to other brides and would like to know that I'm not recommending someone that thinks that it's ok to do this to a couple. Hope you have a great day when it come round Siobhan