Lie on side or back in bed?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Babs Aug08 Posts: 828
Have heard ur supposed to lie on ur side in bed, not on ur back. Anyone ever heard of this & know why??? I always try to sleep on my side, but very often wake up on my back. :thnk
mrscat Posts: 1082
on your side is best, preferably on your left-hand side as it's the best for optimum cirulation and blood supply to the baby. On your back is the least-favoured position for these reasons, hence why you're not advised to lie on your back, but it's hard to do it all the time so don't worry if you wake up on your back, just switch to your side. Keep a pillow between your legs to help alleviate hip pain from sleeping on each side with the extra weight.
Me Julia Posts: 1352
Hi there I used to teach maternity treatments and we would not let pregnant women lie on their backs during body treatments........reason why, when you lie on your back your uterus falls back and lies on the pelvic rim, preventing the blood flow and can lead to high blood pressure in the woman. By the way when you get bigger you wont be able to lie on your back as you can literally feel the uterus dropping back and its soooo uncomfortable.
oirish Posts: 1541
your body will tell you when you can no longer lie on your back, you literally won't be able to stand it !! I get dizzy and sick from the pressure of the womb on the blood flow - just listen to your body.
Forgottenpassword Posts: 1078
Towards the end of pregnancy you will take sleep whatever way you can get it. Don't worry if you wake up on your back, if you were in any danger whatsoever your body would wake you. Sleep while you can. After the baby is born you will cherish the days when the only issue was whether to sleep on your back or not because, you will be so sleep deprived you would sleep standing up :o0 FP
jarashow Posts: 3083
It's still early days for me but have been trying to make myself sleep on my side and not my back.... which is sooooo hard. I wake during the night with pains in both hips so end up having to lie on my back for a bit. At 15 weeks I wouldn't have thought there is extra weight, but that must be what it is, will have to try putting a pillow etween my legs. If I lie recovery sort of position, say on left side and then right leg across the left would putting a under the right leg help do you think?
Forgottenpassword Posts: 1078
Just in case anyone is worried, you will [b:3vd2v0sc]not [/b:3vd2v0sc]do your baby any harm lying on your back, it is only dangerous to the mother, and you would wake up if you were putting yourself in danger. Trying to sleep on your side is better for yourself, but, really it will not do any harm. FP
autumnbaba08 Posts: 127
Hey At the start I was always lying on my tummy but now at 18 weeks sleeping for me is getting very uncomfortable. I start on my right side but this is impossible. Think I'll have to swap with DBF so I can try the left side. :-8
Babs Aug08 Posts: 828
Thanks everyone who replied *)
bride22 Posts: 359
I'm trying to stay on my side to optimise the blood flow to the placenta but there are times that i wake up and i'm on my back, i wake up and know instantly that its not good for me or the baby. The baby can be feel more easily like a little lump as i think the fluid is spread around too much . Thats just my opinion, not medical. I think one of the medical reasons are that the uterus puts too much pressure on a major blood vessel when on youre back.