Linked In

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

wedjul05 Posts: 5673
Right so what's the deal with this website? How many people ACTUALLY use it? I have never ever heard of it before. My sis has been on it for years, my DH knows about it for years too. Myself and the DH and the kids are planning on moving to France next year as my DH is from there. He has created his profile and has loads of recommendations/viewing from agencies already. We had this 'discussion' about it the other day as I think it's not all that used in my industry (pharmaceutical) whereas in his industry (computers, sales) it is. I have created my profile but I will find it hard to get decent recommendations as no one I know uses it. But apparently a huge % of jobs are now got thru this :eek Do people know/use it as I've never heard of it before 2 weeks ago :-8
ohsotired Posts: 7071
I'm a passive user of it. I've heard that some recruiters look at it to see who have links to as opposed to looking at your recommendations. I suppose for some jobs they are interested in seeing who you have contacts with for business purposes etc.
Milly83 Posts: 3620
It's fantastic. I am on it, I've found jobs through it, I've been offered jobs through it! And there are plenty of people from all different areas on it. I used to work in a pharmaceutical company and there are plenty of people from that area as well. It's definitely a great portal to get in touch with recruitment companies and find out who's hiring.
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
I was recommended it and have recently joined, just a case of making connections now! Glad to hear that there have been people approached for jobs on it. Hopefully get something from it!
luckyladee Posts: 2550
I've been on it for years too - and found it fantastic, both for creating / finding job opportunities but also for generating business. I was offered jobs through it too. However I've recently left my job to pursue a change in career to become a primary school teacher so its no longer gonna be all that relevant for me :duh:
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
I have a profile on it - but that's just about it - just a bare profile. Talking to a recruiter lately though and a couple other people in same area as me (finance) and yes, apparently it is hugely popular and jobs are offered / sought through it.
lux Posts: 6270
DH's company is recruiting at the moment and its their first port of call, he's looking for people with specific qualifications so it works well for his industry.
MrsBuck Posts: 846
another fan here! I work in marketing and its huge too in my industry - i use it more than facebook!
PussyGalore Posts: 3388
[quote="Jane Smith":3gre0m53]I have a profile on it - but that's just about it - just a bare profile.[/quote:3gre0m53] Me too. I used to work in academia/nonprofit but really haven't turned anything up from it at all except getting in touch with former contacts. I'm hoping to get back into the workplace so I'm hoping to use it more in the coming weeks
MizMelanie Posts: 1443
Yep I use it as well - it's pretty popular in my industry too. I've had a good few approaches about jobs on it, some from recruiters and some direct approaches from companies. It's also useful for finding out a little more about people from your industry and if we were hiring we'd check any applicants to see their job history etc on it, if they had a profile.