loads of training but no weight loss!!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

happylady Posts: 17
hey jsut wondering if anyone knows how long it takes before you start loosing weight in the gym. Ive been going about four months and havnt lost a pound!! I just completed my first triathlon so i was training up to 5times a week so i know i have built loads of muscle but i thought i would have lost weight too! I can see a bit of a diff in my shape but want to start dropping dress sizes...its just getting frustrating!!!
hunnymonster Posts: 725
losing weight is all about balancing the calorie books. You will not lose weight unless you burn more calories than you eat. For example, I train 14 times a week (most of the time) and ran 100 miles last weekend my weight is static (because I eat enough calories to compensate for the exercise done). If you're not losing weight then you need to look at what you're eating. An online tool like fitday.com allows you to enter everything you eat and the exercise you do and it will show you what you need to do in order to make progress.
Paul-Hurley Posts: 221
[quote="hunnymonster":3e00oxvq]If you're not losing weight then you need to look at what you're eating.[/quote:3e00oxvq] This is absolutely correct. Great post hunnymonster. It's also important to realise that too [u:3e00oxvq]much[/u:3e00oxvq] exercise can stop you losing weight. Exercise is stress that you apply to that body in order for it to adapt to the stress and give you the results you want. If you overstress the body, the body will hold onto fat in order to use it as energy to fight the effects of the overstressing.