loadsa questions

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

bridejune2006 Posts: 34
hi girls, i am 6 weeks pregnant, i was at GP yesterday and got it confirmed. i just have a few questions that i thought ye experts might know the answers to : i had symptoms from a few days before my period was due. desperate back pains, extreme tiredness, metallic taste in mouth,constant peeing....could i be carrying twins??? how much maternity (paid) leave aam i entitled to (i work in the H.S.E) - i have confused myself at this stage by looking at different websites etc. i have my appointment with the obstetrician (sp) in 7 weeks. GP said i would be scanned on that day. will he do an internal exam or anything? if not, when are these done? (scared sxxtless about these!!) can pregnant women eat pavlova ? we decided to go privately. GP said on average it costs around E1,500 - when has this to be paid thanks girls....havent a clue about these things bridejune2006
ME AGAIN!!.....can anyone recommend any nice shops where i can get clothes for the expanding belly .....when thw time comes (fingers crossed)
jen2 Posts: 3106
Congrats first of all. Hope you have a healthy and happy pregnancy. First question. The symptons yourare talking about, do ot mean that you are deff having twins. I was expecting twin of the last pregnancy, and did not have alot of those symptons. With regards to maternity leave you are entitles to 26 weeks paid leave ( maternity bebefit, not nessicarly from work). My fees for going private are 4000 for the consultant and then 2000 for the hospital ( this is after my VHI have paid 2900 for hospital). People say you shoud stay away from pavlova. but I think its ok now and then. But to be on the total safe side, id stay way, from eggs, soft cheese, under cooked meat, and pavlova. If you are 6 weeks now and have appt with OBGYN in seven weeks, you will be 13 weeks when having your first scan. You will not have an internal one for this scan. Internals are done for people who are 6 - 9 weeks pregnant. Just remember to go with a full bladder. Hope that helps Jen2 Edited to say, next, M&S , dorethy perkins, Nelo, Fourms , mama and papas, and mothercare all do maternity clothes
thanks a million jen2 i just thought taht when i was feeling 'pregnant' so early that maybe i was carrying twins!! thanks for teh advice about foods. i have another appt with GP in 4 weeks so maybe that when the internal will be done (god im dreading it!!) i must check at work about the maternity leave, but im afraid to ask any of my colleagues in case they immediately suspect thanks again
jen2 Posts: 3106
GPs dont usually do internals. ITs usually only a mid wife or OBGYN. Not everyone gets an early scan pet. Its usually only dont if they are worried out something, or if you have had an early m/c before. I doubt you would get one for no reason. so you have nothing to worry about. Jen2
Idina Posts: 1289
It's recommended that you don't eat pavlova or anything containing eggs as they may not be cooked properly. Only safe way to eat eggs is to cook them your self to make sure they are properly cooked (i.e. hard boiled not soft) thsi is killing me i have to say cause I love egg's . Boiled egg with soldiers is my comfort food! :o(
thanks thistle and jen2
Tigletts Posts: 2904
Congrats from me too..... have a happy healthy one! If your GP is anything like mine, he'll do very little. I go to see mine every 4-6 weeks, and all he does is check my blood pressure and now baby's heartbeat. I don't think they ever do internal exams tbh. But in any case, there's really nothing to them either. I would highly recommend the belly belts you can get them from the VHI site, i think they're great for early on as you can still wear your own trousers, just need a long top to go with. I can still wear 2 of my own trousers with these at 24 weeks ! Best of luck.
never heard of them tigletts!!! must check them out. thanks