Luteal Phase Defect - Advice on GP visit please

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Hbombadero Posts: 1960
Hi I have charted 2 cycles, luteal phase was 6 days in both cases Both charts here: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3ed2c2 I am going to go to my GP tomorrow and I just want to be prepared. I want this sorted, I don't want to just wait and see unless they are fairly certain that the luteal phase will rectify itself without intervention. Anyone had a similar issue sorted? Any advice welcome, particularly re how receptive docs are to charting. Thanks! (By way of background ... I stopped taking pill 9 months ago - no periods for 7 months and was diagnosed with high prolactin and am now on medication (dostinex). Prolactin has been normal for the last 3 months and my periods are now back but with a short luteal phase.)
katiebaby78 Posts: 679
I thought I had a lpd when trying for my 2nd child and said it to my doc when I was in for something else. I cslculated it as only 9 days. He was a young doc but didn't have a clue and said 'ah, 9 days is loads.' I left it at that. Hopefully your doc knows better. Are you having trouble ttc? Took me 5 months on my 2nd but here I am now at 24 weeks preggers.
Congrats Katie! We're hoping for a baby the last year, off pill 9 months. But my period only came back 3 months ago so I suppose we are only able to try since then. Do you mind me asking if your luteal phase sorted itself out before you conceived? Did you do anything else after your GP was so spectacularly unhelpful? Thanks!
ructions Posts: 2689
z
katiebaby78 Posts: 679
It seemed to increase in the cycles after that. 10 days then 11 and I think maybe 12 but no more than that. Are you using opks? I swore that mine were out a bit and it was the month I threw them in bin that I conceived. I didn't see anyone else about my luteal phase.
Thanks ructions. Katie, I never seem to get a positive on the OPK but I don't think I've ever timed them right and I drink a lot of water so I believe that can throw them off. I am ovulating though according to the temps. Thanks for your replies, hopefully the doc can do something or failing that, that they lengthen of their own accord like yours seems to have done. :thnk
MissSindyhead Posts: 560
I swear by Agnus Castus. Got the tincture online (from Evergreen I think) rather than the pills. Worked for me twice in lengthening my luteal phase. Good luck!
CherylC Posts: 1071
I believe short Lp can be a result of low progesterone too. That is fairly easy to solve by taking progesterone (often suppositories). Maybe day 3 and day 21 bloods would be worth taking to check your levels and to confirm your ovulating too.
Thanks for the replies ladies. FWIW the GP was of no use whatsoever but he did relieve me of €55. Which was nice. He had no recommendations, no advice, prescribed nothing and made no referrals. He did say to have sex around day 14 (despite me telling him I ovulate on day 18/19 and get period 6 days later) He said a 6 day luteal phase is grand and it is not an impediment to conceiving. T'internet says different... Anyone know if he's right?
snowbear Posts: 2107
Grr he sounds dismissive. Have you read taking charge if your fertility? A brilliant book. I have short cycles and a short lp and following advice here took vit b6 to lengthen lp. The result is currently teething! Read up on it first tho as it was either b6 before ovulation and Agnes casts after, or the other way round. I can't remember!