Menu

music for church ?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

trishmc Posts: 311
Just wondering what music /songs are you all having in the church ? I am having a small folk gruop and a musician so not really going down the classical music route (although love it ) . Am looking for inspiration i guess :-8
superpower Posts: 367
Ooh will have a think about it! Check with your priest too- I told my priest a list of the songs I wanted to use and he 'suggested' I use some religious ones!
mrsmoo2202 Posts: 1930
I came up the aisle to for the love of a princess from braveheart, we had an uilleann piper, flute and guitar, and they arranged it specially! Had she moved through the fair, and ag criost on siol for the candles, down by the Sally gardens for the signing of the registry, came back up to tabhar dom do lamh. Had a CofI wedding so can't help with communion ones!
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I think religious services and settings should have religious music. More 'secular' music can be a little jarring in a church.
o
Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
Attended a few weddings lately that wrapped up with Lord of the Dance. It was if we were in the presence of the blessed Flatley himself. Churches are communal buildings, claim your space and go with whatever suits the pair of yiz. Some of the most transcendental music ever made wouldn't be considered religious.
Kettles Hotel
Couldnt agree more : )
Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
I always thought Daniel Johnston's True Love Will Find You In The End would be lovely at a wedding. Beck does a brilliant cover version replete with harmonica that'd suit a folk vibe. Probably on youtube. And there are some rare beauties from John Martyn. I'd imagine music is a very personal decision though. G'luck.