nappies!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Perci Posts: 3847
I know we're going to need lots and lots and lots of nappies. Is it worth starting to stock up as I wouldn't really know what size to get etc?
brideeee Posts: 1490
I wouldn't bother, get some newborn ones alright a couple of packs for hospital and when you get home. But bubs could be a big pounder or grow very quickily in which case you might need to move a size, xx brideeeee
Sphynx Posts: 6795
Have been thinking about this too and DH wants to buy a shedload in Musgraves (have a card). I've heard you should allow 60 to 70 nappies a week for a newborn. I presume you get the newborn size? Another thing to bear in mind is that a couple of people on here said their baby had a bad reaction to Pampers so might be worth getting some Huggies (or other brand) too and seeing which suits best? Anyone try Tesco nappies? Much cheaper! Not sure what to do yet - I think a couple of weeks' supply of nappies would be plenty but if DH had his way we'd be buying several hundred! A friend of mine had the opportunity to bulk buy nappies at less than cost price last year and she bought 1,000 ! :eek :eek :eek
Perci Posts: 3847
[quote:2ja0os49]A friend of mine had the opportunity to bulk buy nappies at less than cost price last year and she bought 1,000 ! [/quote:2ja0os49] Blimey! My DH is the same he would have us buying them now too. I think even the newborns come in different sizes depending on birth weight etc so I just don't know...
Sphynx Posts: 6795
yeah, I think the men really love to think they'll manage to get a bargain considering all the other expenses! I'd definitely get enough for a week - nappies are something you can easily pop out and get after the baby is born. Just have to persuade DH to hold his horses or we'll end up selling nappies in Buy&Sell! Must ask my friend if she ended up using all the nappies - think she bought a good mix of sizes so I'm sure she did!
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
I wouldnt just get a few packs,baby will grow out of a certain size quickly
Purple Tulip Posts: 3442
my little babs had a reaction to pampers so we got huggies then i tried tesco as they were cheaper and he had reaction to them too, now we're on lidl and they are perfect i cant believe it.
Baby cakes Posts: 1237
[quote="Sphynx":2sq7ki9q]Have been thinking about this too and DH wants to buy a shedload in Musgraves (have a card). I've heard you should allow [b:2sq7ki9q]60 to 70 nappies a week for a newborn.[/b:2sq7ki9q] I presume you get the newborn size? Another thing to bear in mind is that a couple of people on here said their baby had a bad reaction to Pampers so might be worth getting some Huggies (or other brand) too and seeing which suits best? Anyone try Tesco nappies? Much cheaper! Not sure what to do yet - I think a couple of weeks' supply of nappies would be plenty but if DH had his way we'd be buying several hundred! A friend of mine had the opportunity to bulk buy nappies at less than cost price last year and she bought 1,000 ! :eek :eek :eek[/quote:2sq7ki9q] unless u are changing babs every two minutes you do not use that amount in one week :eek . Seriously though girls i did stock up and it was great, if any of you have a boots card you should of got your offers this month for double points, I would stock up on nappies (newborn, size 1 and 2 and wipes you can never have enough wipes). You will probably use one pack a week. If you join the pampers site which tell you all about your pregnancy and early stages you get vouchers and nappy samples. I used huggies on both of mine, but when there is offers on i get which ever is on best offer. Super value were doing two packs of pampers size 4+ for €23.
mammybean Posts: 10364
i would stock up , personally. on a selection of sizes even not so many of the new born but plenty of size 1. nappies arent cheap so i would think if you cn get them on offer and stock up on them then do. and if they do grow out of a size the super market will let you swap the unopened ones
Trish07 Posts: 506
I would say maybe buy a few packets of the size 1 for the early days but if you are stocking up Id do it with size 2 and 3. My little fella was only 8lb 5 and he went throught the sizes fairly quickly. We are on size 4now since he was about 4 or 5months old and his 2.5year old cousin wears the same size so its so hard to know what to do.