Old Wives Tale - don't go to funerals when pregnant?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

All Loved Up Posts: 135
Has anybody ever heard of this?
Bear Posts: 671
I had never heard of it til a few months ago. I'm sure there was a thread about it on here when I was pregnant.
Barbalou Posts: 1617
Heard of it and don't go to graveyards either something about restless souls trying to come back... :eek
Gidz Posts: 290
Hi There, ive heard of this. When i was 6 months pregnant my nana passed away. My SIL was 9 mnths pregnant and A few people told us that we shouldnt go in2 the graveyard "in our condition". Its just an IRISH superstition me thinks, neadless 2 say we went 2 the graveyard and we never came across no lost souls. 14 months on an still no lost souls, only mine from the lack of sleep, she's teething mad @da moment! :o0
Jeidi Posts: 3128
I 've been to 2 funerals, DH grandad at 13 weeks and DH cousin at 17 weeks!!!
maisedon Posts: 1394
Its the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!!!
mrssunflower Posts: 3651
I went to 3 DH granny was disgusted because its meant to be bad luck going into a graveyard. Some crap about the dead and unborn. A friend I know stood outside the graveyard at a funeral when pregnant and got knocked down :eek Its the same old wives tales about not buying baby stuff before you give birth. This same granny wanted me to pick out my pram when I had the baby to see what he/she looked "nicer" in :eek
Jeidi Posts: 3128
Sorry to stray a bit from the subject - but a friend of mine was having her first baby.. and her husbands grandmother told her she knew of a 2nd hand moses basket that was going cheap because the baby had gone to heaven and only used it for 2 weeks. :eek
All Loved Up Posts: 135
OMG Jeidi that is too much. I can understand ignoring the old wives thing and not getting too caught up in superstition but no way would I be comfortable with a moses basket that was meant for a little baby who died. Thats too much. Have a funeral this weekend. Of course I am going. Probably stupid to even ask this question.
Dora the explorer Posts: 1570
As said its not the funeral but the graveyard, my Nanna always said " you dont pass the living over the dead" Jedi - thats awful