Planting A hedge!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

happilymarried2010 Posts: 493
hi all, we share a tiny lawn with neighbour in mid terrace house. Road facing. does anyone know if we can pop up a hedge to create a divide? there is no divide at the moment. Woudl a fence make more sense instead of worrying about a leaf dropping on their side :ooh :ooh it really is a tiny patch but neighbours are NUTS O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| >:o) >:o) >:o)
MrsBraxton Posts: 4662
We have a hedge in between our front garden and our neighbours and its a pain in the ass! It was planted by builder so prob a fairly crappy hedge but it has grown all uneven, some of them have died so now theres a gap between some of them and its a big job to trim it back. We keep saying we might get a fence instead or take it out altogether. Our neighbour is lovely and said she's easy, whatever is best and she'll pay half.
keepitsimple Posts: 966
we are doing this at the moment but are going for a hedge (probably laurel as it's hardy and evergreen) but we have a huge area and fencing is expensive and i though that much wood might look abit too much! You can get fencing panels and it depends on what you are looking for but price ranges from about €25 - €150 per panel - that's a 6' x 6' panel. If the neighbours are nuts and you want an instant cover then this is probably the best as a hedge will take time to grow and then you will need to cut it back twice a year! However if you do go for a hedge you can ask in the garden centre for one that the leaves won't fall (which is most of them tbh)
Little Miss Hopeful Posts: 1193
I really think you should mention it to your neighbours as a courtesy legally i don't know the ins and outs of hedges and boundary lines. I would freak out if my neighbour used laurel as hedging as it grows so quickly and is ugly. If you are thinking of planting a hedge i think native hedging is nicer and gives shelter to birds for nesting.