Poll : What is your parents Marital Status

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

zoesmama Posts: 2774
What is your parents marital status in relation to each other ?
zoesmama Posts: 2774
A friend's parents have a really strange situation - they are married. They separated years ago but when all the kids were adults. Legally they are still married - no legal separation. The father lives with his unmarried brother about a mile away and the mother lives in the family home which they both continue to own. The father comes to the family home for all Family Celebrations and Christmas, Easter, Birthdays etc. They travel together to visit their adult children who live in different counties staying with them for days at a time. They accompany each other to functions. They both still wear their wedding rings. If you didn't know them you would assume they are a happily married couple. They get on fine together and seem to be quite happy in each other's company but apparently cannot live together. But it works for them. So just curious....
betty draper Posts: 728
they were married 18 years when they separated. It was legal a year later and they divorced 8 years after that. And that was 10 years ago! they are now officially apart longer then they were together.
Rocksie80 Posts: 4045
Mine are separated 11 years- they got a legal separation pretty quickly, but neither has made any move to get a divorce.
DorisDay Posts: 269
Mine are married 32 years and still going strong :lvs
Eleanor Rigby Posts: 1067
My parents are divorced, have been for about 15years. They were married for 9 years.
excitedjuly12 Posts: 1722
Recently 27 years married :)
vulgarpicture Posts: 571
Mine are married about 45 years and are still mad about each other. I hope i have a marriage half as good!
StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
Can you add an option for "F*cking nightmare"?! My parents separated in October 2010 after 29 years of marriage (the marriage was over quite a few years before that though). They are currently going through mediation and getting absolutely nowhere and are looking likely to end up in court. They hate each other.
Mari yay Posts: 4045
My dad is widowed for the past 15 years :o( after being married for 19 years. DH's parents are the nightmare in our house, his dad left almost 20 years ago, lives happily in England with a new partner, and when I say new partner she's with him longer than he was with his wife! The mother on the other hand is perfectly happy to continue to use her married name, but not wear the ring, and live in bitterness about it. Each to their own but she tries to interfere with us having contact with his dad, and every family occasion is a new argument.