Possibly silly Q - Private Vs Semi Private

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Late08 Posts: 675
I hope you don't mind me visiting to ask a question about health cover. I'll looking into my maternity health cover at the moment. I'm aware that it takes 52 weeks for any changes to come into effect. Can someone explain what the difference is between semiprivate and private in a private hospital? Is the only difference the accomodation And how about the difference between semiprivate and private in a public hospital? i hope that makes sense Thanks
jess08 Posts: 481
its not a silly question!!!! Dont thinkanyone every get their head round it completely!!! Its very confusing really. I found the discussion group on the VHI.ie website helpfull. Sorry im not much help, but i just wanted to let you know you werent alone in being confused!!
Thanks jess08
Wifey Wifey Posts: 198
I'm trying to decide which one to go with too and its just SO confusing. From what I can tell, you seem to have to pay approx €3000-€4000 for private on top of what the health insurance covers but only have to pay about €600 for semi-private. I could be completely wrong but that's about as far as I've got!
I spoke with VHI and apparently the plan I'm on has the highest cover for accomodation in a private hospital But I don't know how much it costs to stay in a private hospital I'm also worried about the difference in doctors. From what the VHI lady said when attending a private hospital if going semiprivate some of the checkups can be with my local GP but if going private they all have to be with my hospital doctor/consultant person I am soooo lost
allexcitednow Posts: 654
Your VHI only covers your stay in hospital!! The level depends on wether you are going to a public hospital or a private hospital for example public hospital - holles street, rotunda, coombe. private hospital (mount Carmel). People get confused coz they dont understand the difference between a public hospital with private wards and a private hospital. if you are a public patient the state covers the cost of your consultant and your stay in a public hospital. If you go semi-private you pay the hospital €600-750 (depending on the hospital) for the cost of your consultant and your VHI (highest plan) if you have it covers your stay in a private room in either either a public hospital (holles street, rotunda, coombe)or a private hospital (mount Carmel). If you go private you pick a consulatant who has thier own fee (seems to be anything from 2k-5k) and you VHI will cover your stay in a a private room in either a public hospital (holles street, rotunda, coombe)or a semi private room in a private hospital (mount Carmel). You can only get a private room in a private hospital if you have the highest cover with VHI
LaLaLand Posts: 17
Agree with allexcitednow who explains it really well but ONE thing I think is different is: [i:bc4niluv]If you go semi-private you pay the hospital €600-750 (depending on the hospital) for the cost of your consultant and your VHI (highest plan) if you have it covers your stay in a private room in either either a public hospital (holles street, rotunda, coombe)or a private hospital (mount Carmel). [/i:bc4niluv] actually I think if you go semi-private in either a private hospital or a public hosptial, regardless of your VHI plan, you will only get a semi-private room (if there is one, if there isn't one available you will get a public bed ...) Basically if you want a private room, you need to pay for a private consultant (though having a private consultant has lots of other benefits too!). This will cost about 4k in Dublin.
allexcitednow Posts: 654
If your VHI covers you for a private room in a public then you are entitled to get one regardless of wether you consultant is semi or full private. your VHI will be billed for the private room which is covered. After all you have paid for this cover!!
LaLaLand Posts: 17
I thought that would be the case too ... but I checked with VHI, their response: If you attend your consultant privately for your maternity you are covered up to a maximum of 3 night’s private accommodation in a public hospital, such as the Rotunda Hospital, for the birth. If you are attending your consultant on a semi-private basis, then you will be entitled to 3 nights semi-private accommodation in a public hospital. You can request to avail of a private room in the hospital if you are attending as a semi-private patient, however Vhi Healthcare will only pay the semi-private rate and the hospital will bill you for the difference. The anaesthetist and the paediatrician’s fees are fully covered if they are participating consultants with Vhi Healthcare if you are attending as either a private or a semi-private patient of the obstetrician. You are also entitled to claim a benefit towards the private pre and post-natal care under the outpatient scheme, subject to the excess at your renewal date.
Thanks for your help I need to check and see what cover I have for a consultant and other doctors now I think Does VHI cover the cost of attending a consultant privately?