Hi girls. Has anyone heard of this? I was with my GP on Monday and he told me to start taking this up until 12 weks. My diet is very poor, it's a vitamin suppliment. I've gone to a few chemists but none of them heard of it. There are other vitamin suppliments out there but they have folic acid in them and you can't take them if you're taking folic acid. When my GP told me to start taking Pregnavite I asked if I should still take the folic acid and he said yes.
Are you woried about doubling up on folic acid?
If so don't worry, I take double because I had some of my bowel removed and was worried I might not absorb it as well as I should. It won't do you any harm and you will wee out and extra
Pregnavit M is the only one i've been able to find and it's South African. Given that there are so many Irish/UK brands maybe Irish pharmacies don't see need to stock it.
I would say that any of the others would be fine (Pregnacare/Pregnaplus etc). It doesn't matter that they have folic acid in them too as it is a water soluble vitamin which means it cannot be stored in the body. Any excess that the body does not use will be secreted.
Anyway if the multivit contains folic acid it means you don't have to take a separate tablet for folic acid.
Either go back to gp and tell them about difficulties getting that preg vit or speak to a pharmacist and ask for advice on alternative.
At the moment I'm taking 2 folic acid tablets a day. The GP told me to take them even though th phasmacist thought it was a bit strange.
Thanks a mill girls. Yer so helpful and I don't know what I'd do withouth this site. It helped me prepare for my wedding, then helped with TCC and now helping with my pregnancy. I'd be lost without ye
well usually you only have to double up on folic acid if there was incidence of spina bifida in the family. That said, it's not going to do harm. I prob wouldn't take a multivit with folic acid and separate folic acid twice a day though - sounds like too much.
My GP also told me to take some extra if you have a problem with absorbing tablets etc there may be a good reason, if your GP has advised you do them I would take the advice.