Priest confusion!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

moyra-smyth Posts: 511
Im getting married in the parish next door to mine but the priest from my own parish is preforming the cermony. Should the priest of the parish im getting married in also be present/invited to the cermony and wedding?? And if so which one do i talk to about the cermony layout, music options etc???
BigDay08 Posts: 514
You don't have to invite the parish priest unless you would like him there to concelebrate the mass. TBH i think most priests are so sick of weddings so unless you know him and really want him there i wouldn't bother. Whether you invite him or not it's the priest marrying that you should talk to about the ceremony. HTH :wv
moyra-smyth Posts: 511
He knows both our families but he wouldnt be a close family friend or anything....thanks for the advice! anybody else???
Miss Muffet Posts: 612
[quote="moyra-sausage":101l00lj]Im getting married in the parish next door to mine but the priest from my own parish is preforming the cermony. Should the priest of the parish im getting married in also be present/invited to the cermony and wedding?? And if so which one do i talk to about the cermony layout, music options etc???[/quote:101l00lj] Hi Moyra-sausage. I too am getting married in my neighbouring parish and our priest is a family friend from neither parish. I asked him the very same questions you've just asked and he said its normal for just one priest to say the mass (not like in funerals where there can be many) and there is absolutely no obligtaion whatsoever to invite the priest of the church or even to have him take part in the mass. Inviting him to the actual wedding - as in meal, etc. - is a different matter and you should only invite him if he is a close fmaily friend, no just becase of his role as parish priest. As for discussions re music, etc, that should all be with the priest who is saying your mass.