Progestrone only pill

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hadtoleave Posts: 2522
trance Posts: 3129
I switched over from Mercillon to Cerazette a couple of years ago, plus points are no periods, no weight gain (or loss sadly!) and no mood swings (bar what I would normally have), on the down side it has affected my skin, nothing too disastrous but I have never really suffered from spots/bad skin before until I went on prog only pill. I had tried Noriday (the only other prog pill available as far as I know - I could be wrong on that though!) a few years earlier and it had a terrible effect on my skin, I literally had a big old rash on my chin that my husband said looked like ringworm - NICE!!! The thing is, the pill has never really affected me too much (other than the rash!!), even Mercillon and the only reason I came off it was because of my age and family medical history. The only thing certain about taking any hormonal contraceptive is that it affects everyone differently so my experience won't be your experience. Ultimately it's your call - good luck!!
Blossom Cherry Posts: 2701
Hi mornngsun, I'm currently on Cerazette. I was on it over three years and came off it last year but I'm back on it now. I never had a period when I was on it before (was bliss as I suffer terribly with pms and cramps). I went back on a few months ago and three weeks on I had a period which lasted 9 days. Nothing since though, Thank God. My doctor raves about it, apparently it the best pill to be on as it carries the lowest risk of DVT. I haven't noticed any side effects this time other than being very emotional and fed up when I had that 9 day period. My advice would be to make a decision sooner rather than later as you might get a breakthrough bleed on your first pack like I did and you don't want that around your wedding day. Best of luck
BusyMom Posts: 717
I was put on Cerazette when I was breastfeeding my son as POP (progesterone only pill) is the only one you can take while bf-ing. I used to get migraines with the combined pill and so had to be taken off it - which is how I ended up with anything to breastfeed in the first place!! I had no side-effects from it, other than much lighter periods but these weren't too noticeable as my cycle was still a bit off after childbirth. I'd always be prone to bad skin and while it didn't clear it up, it didn't make it any worse either. Nor did I gain any weight while taking it (although this isn't something that happened me on any form of the pill). One thing that is worth noting is that it's only effective if taken exactly on time! No 24 hour window with the POP like there is with the combined pill, I think your protection is compromised if you're 3 hours late with it, just something to keep in mind! My cycle didn't go crazy or anything after I stopped taking it, got pregnant no hassle a month or two later. Hope that helps you!
originalwoowoo Posts: 867
I was on Cerezette after DS2 and found it really great - no side effects as long as it was taken as directed.
Blossom Cherry Posts: 2701
[quote="May19Mom":z2lggg3i] One thing that is worth noting is that it's only effective if taken exactly on time! No 24 hour window with the POP like there is with the combined pill, I think your protection is compromised if you're 3 hours late with it, just something to keep in mind! Hope that helps you![/quote:z2lggg3i] Hi, The above isn't true regarding Cerazette, you have the same 12 hr window like the combined pill. They do recommend you take it at the same time everyday but if you are less than 12 late taking your pill the contraceptive efficacy is maintained.
zemphis Posts: 61
I was on cerazette as well for about 4 years and only recently came off it. I couldn't take the combined pill as it affected me too badly so that's why I took cerazette. I found it ok, in the most part. Though I did get irregular periods, where I could have a couple of months between them or there could only be 3 or 4 weeks. Once, I think I had two within two weeks. I also got occasional spotting and I also found that my periods could go on for quite a while - about 8 days. One downside of it is that there is no predicting as to whether you will get periods on it and if you do, how often they will be or how long they will last - this is in literature about it. The literature does also warn about spotting and break-through bleeds.
Thanks for the replies girls. Very helpful and think I am going to go for it.
[