Menu

question RE maternity benifit if unemployed this year...??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

rk16o Posts: 201
Hi there I was just wondering before i proberly have to go and ask the social welfare just to see if i am qualified for maternity benifit. I personally think i am not, but my SIL thinks i am, i am unemployed now but my babs due feb 2010, which she says that its something to do with the tax year of 2008, i only worked just over half of that year... thing is does anyone know if this is right or am i on the right page thinking that i am NOT qualified for this?? Any answers would be appreciated. :thnk
jmeath Posts: 5740
Im not definate but it goes on 2yrs ago as far as i know so i think you will get it
Arta1 Posts: 276
got this off citizens information website If you are employed you must have: At least 39 weeks PRSI paid in the 12-month period before the first day of your maternity leave Or At least 39 weeks PRSI paid since first starting work and at least 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year or in the tax year immediately following the relevant tax year. For example, if you are going on maternity leave in 2009, the relevant tax year is 2007 and the year following that is 2008. Or At least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the relevant tax year and at least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the tax year immediately before the relevant tax year. For example, if you are going on maternity leave in 2009, the relevant tax year is 2007 and the year before that is 2006.
lollyfp Posts: 2441
[quote="rk16o":p8m4o2xu]Hi there I was just wondering before i proberly have to go and ask the social welfare just to see if i am qualified for maternity benifit. I personally think i am not, but my SIL thinks i am, i am unemployed now but my babs due feb 2010, which she says that its something to do with the tax year of 2008, i only worked just over half of that year... thing is does anyone know if this is right or am i on the right page thinking that i am NOT qualified for this?? Any answers would be appreciated. :thnk[/quote:p8m4o2xu] Hi, I went through this earlier this year when I was made redundant. I had worked fulltime for the previous 13 years until I was made redundant in April this year. I called the Maternity Benefit unit and queried whether I would get maternity benefit because I saw the info on the Citizens Advice site and thought maybe I would be qualified based on previous years tax credits. Unfortunately they said that none of this mattered unless I was working within 16 weeks of my estimated due date. But, even if I was unemployed, they said that as long as I somehow got employed for even a day or a week within the 16 week period before my due date then I would be covered so I would recommend looking into this. This will just kick start your PRSI payments again. Maybe you could get a relative or friend to employ you for a few days or do some temp work? I found work thankfully a month ago so I never looked further into it more than that - best of luck!
Dir Posts: 351
Hi, I went through this earlier this year when I was made redundant. I had worked fulltime for the previous 13 years until I was made redundant in April this year. I called the Maternity Benefit unit and queried whether I would get maternity benefit because I saw the info on the Citizens Advice site and thought maybe I would be qualified based on previous years tax credits. Unfortunately they said that none of this mattered unless I was working within 16 weeks of my estimated due date. But, even if I was unemployed, they said that as long as I somehow got employed for even a day or a week within the 16 week period before my due date then I would be covered so I would recommend looking into this. This will just kick start your PRSI payments again. Maybe you could get a relative or friend to employ you for a few days or do some temp work? I found work thankfully a month ago so I never looked further into it more than that - best of luck![/quote] This is so ture ..i am in exactly the same situ .. only lost job 2 months ago but i dont qualify either unless i get a days work !!! Enough contributions made >:o(