Question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Faithful Nite Posts: 859
Hey ladies, I've forgotten everything about being pregnant :o0 :o0 . You'd swear it was years ago. Anyhow here is my 1st question. I'm due this baby Mar/Apr next year but only went back to work in Apr this year after having DS. Was off since last May 2009. Am I still entitled to maternity benefit for maternity leave next year??
baba2010 Posts: 247
If your baby is going to be born in 2011, the year of assessment is 2009 (ie - last year when you were on leave). See the below info from the citizen's info website: If you are employed you must have: At least 39 weeks PRSI paid in the 12-month period before the first day of your maternity leave [b:1o11hy8i](you should qualify under this I think)[/b:1o11hy8i] Or At least 39 weeks PRSI paid since first starting work and at least 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year or in the tax year immediately following the relevant tax year. For example, if you are going on maternity leave in 2010, the relevant tax year is 2008 and the year following that is 2009. [b:1o11hy8i]Not sure you would qualify here, and this is the first area they assess[/b:1o11hy8i] Or At least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the relevant tax year and at least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the tax year immediately before the relevant tax year. For example, if you are going on maternity leave in 2010, the relevant tax year is 2008 and the year before that is 2007. If you do not meet these PRSI conditions and you were self-employed before starting work as an employee, your Class S contributions may help you qualify for Maternity Benefit. Hope that helps.
Faithful Nite Posts: 859
Thanks baba2010. I've just done some research on this now and while I was off I was credited PRSI credits so I will be fine. Thank God. Also discovered that I can claim my prsi credits for the unpaid leave that I took as well. Never knew this. Have to get work to fill out a form.
Martiespride Posts: 997
ya you are!!! cos i am and im only back since march!!!!! :-8