Racism? Question - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Doozer28 Posts: 881
I would use black. But I wouldn't consider 'coloured' being a racist term. It's just not completely 'pc'. A racist comment isn't necessarily the words you use but a lot of the time the way you use them.
Mad Mod Posts: 1079
Supposedly written by an African child and nominated by The United Nations as the Best Poem of 2006. [i:2xtw3c2w]And you calling me colored?? When I born, I black. When I grow up, I black. When I go in sun, I black. When I scared, I black. When I sick, I black. And when I die, I still black. And you white people. When you born, you pink. When you grow up, you white. When you go in sun, you red. When you cold, you blue. When you scared, you yellow. When you sick, you green And when you die, you grey… And you calling me colored??[/i:2xtw3c2w]
katief Posts: 1900
Coloured [i:1rl7z4wa]is[/i:1rl7z4wa] racist I'm white, so why aren't I "coloured"?
ladymacbeth Posts: 713
Halle berry Oscar speech ' this is for every faceless woman of colour ' . First woman who wasn't white to win an Oscar , one parent back, one parent white . I think she was being inclusive of more than just African American women by saying coloured rather than AA or even black . It's not necessarily a negative term depending on the context
whoop whoop Posts: 1616
I've heard 'people of colour' used a lot in recent years, and it seems to be an acceptable term. But I would think the word 'coloured' is the same thing, and I certainly wouldn't use it. I just see it as old-fashioned and associate it with colonial times or the era of segregation, which can't be a good thing. So it's because of the history of it's use - that it has been used in a derogatory fashion in the past. I'd also use black. But 'people/women of colour' includes more than just black people (generally it is assumed to mean all those who are not white)
katief Posts: 1900
[quote="ladymacbeth":hbkmlpv0]Halle berry Oscar speech ' this is for every faceless woman of colour ' . [b:hbkmlpv0]First woman who wasn't white to win an Oscar [/b:hbkmlpv0], one parent back, one parent white . I think she was being inclusive of more than just African American women by saying coloured rather than AA or even black . It's not necessarily a negative term depending on the context[/quote:hbkmlpv0] Sorry, as an aside. Not true. Hattie McDaniel was the first black person to win an Oscar. She played that squeaky chick in Gone with the Wind. Halle Berry was the first black woman to win an oscar for the 'Best Actress" category, with Denzel Washington winning 'Best Actor' It was the first time two Black Actors won awards back to back in the best actor and actress category.
whoop whoop Posts: 1616
[quote="ladymacbeth":17q2qd8e]Halle berry Oscar speech ' this is for every faceless woman of colour ' . First woman who wasn't white to win an Oscar , one parent back, one parent white . I think she was being inclusive of more than just African American women [b:17q2qd8e]by saying coloured [/b:17q2qd8e]rather than AA or even black . It's not necessarily a negative term depending on the context[/quote:17q2qd8e] She didn't say 'coloured women'. She said 'woman of colour'. Although the phrases are similar, I think they have totally different histories attached to them. It's interesting that even though she has one parent of each race, anyone who isn't completely white is called black. Logically she's as white as she is black, but I guess that's the importance of the phrase 'women of colour'. We tend to divide everyone into 'white' and 'non-white' so 'people of colour' encompasses all that.
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
Doesn't it depend on where you are using it though? In SA you would be insulting a person of mixed race if you called them "black" and they would be very quick to correct you that they are "coloured". It is not a racist term. In America however, the term coloured is seen as outdated and offensive.
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
Dp
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
[quote="katief":1jovfubf][quote="ladymacbeth":1jovfubf]Halle berry Oscar speech ' this is for every faceless woman of colour ' . [b:1jovfubf]First woman who wasn't white to win an Oscar [/b:1jovfubf], one parent back, one parent white . I think she was being inclusive of more than just African American women by saying coloured rather than AA or even black . It's not necessarily a negative term depending on the context[/quote:1jovfubf] Sorry, as an aside. Not true. Hattie McDaniel was the first black person to win an Oscar. She played that squeaky chick in Gone with the Wind.[/quote:1jovfubf] How dare you. She played Mammy. Mammy rocked.