Recipe for scones

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ceewa Posts: 478
Anyone got a nice easy scone recipe? I love them all warm and fresh out of the oven
moobertson Posts: 470
I went to Causey farm for my hen and we had gorgeous scones with tea at the end of our day there. Here is the recipe! It looks very easy! I might give them a try tonight! http://www.causey.ie/recipes/scones.php
LastRolo Posts: 6892
[quote="cowlover":1rfy15uo]I went to Causey farm for my hen and we had gorgeous scones with tea at the end of our day there. Here is the recipe! It looks very easy! I might give them a try tonight! http://www.causey.ie/recipes/scones.php[/quote:1rfy15uo] Awh I hate recipes where the measurements are in "cups"
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
I always use the Darina Allen recipe for sweet scones: 900g plain flour 50g castor sugar 3heaped teaspoons of baking powder 175g butter 3 eggs 425ml milk (this makes about 18-20 scones so I usually half it for what I'd need) Sieve all dry ingredients & rub in the butter. Whisk the eggs with milk, make a well in the centre & mix together. Roll out to about 2.5cm thick & cut with a scone cutter. Brush the tops with egg wash & I usually drizzle with a little bit of granulated sugar also. Cook in the oven (250degrees) for about 10-12 mins. Eat & enjoy!!!
mobmar Posts: 642
This is mine.: One lb of plain flour 2 oz butter or margarine 1-2 tablespoonfuls caster sugar 4 oz raisins One level teaspoonful of baking soda One egg, lightly beaten pinch of salt About half a pint of milk Sieve th flour with the salt and baking soda, cut and rub in the fat, add the sugar and raisins. Add the egg and buttermilk to give a soft dough. Knead lightly on a floured board, roll out a good 3/4" thick, cut with3" scone cutter and bake in a hot oven (185 C fan oven) for about 20 minutes. This makes approx 12 scones. This could also be bake as bread . It will take about 35 to 40 minutes this way.
Alwaysbroke Posts: 1140
I love baking and have used loads of different recipies for scones over the years and tbh I find I can't beat the convenience of the Odlums ones? Just add milk to the pack and bob's your uncle. No mess and they really are yummy!
MrsG2Be Posts: 191
I always use the scone recipe from the odlums website! This recipe doesnt use eggs but you can add them in if you like! Ingredients 225g/8oz Odlums Self Raising Flour 150ml/¼ pint Milk (approx) Pinch Salt 25g/1oz Caster Sugar 25g/1oz Margarine 50g/2oz sultanas Method 1.Sieve flour and salt into a bowl, stir in sugar, if used. 2.Rub in margarine. 3.Add sufficient milk to make a soft dough. 4.Turn onto a floured board and gently knead to remove any cracks. 5.Roll out lightly to 1” in thickness. Cut into scones with a cutter dipped in flour. 6.Place on a floured pre-heated baking sheet/tray, glaze if liked with beaten egg or milk. 7.Bake in a pre-heated oven 425°F/220°C/Gas 8 on upper shelf position for 10 mins. approx . 8.Cool on a wire tray.
ceewa Posts: 478
Thanks everyone! I'll have to go baking tomorrow morning