Redundancy and Maternity pay

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Hopefully07 Posts: 2027
Guys I think once I let my boss know I am pregnant he’s going to give me the BIG heev hoo, does anybody know if he offers me (just the statutory redundancy) am I still entitled to the state Maternity pay?????? I am nearly 20 weeks (on Sunday) and I am not telling him until 22 weeks (5th November when I have my Scan) Any info would be great….would rather be armed with all before I even go talk to him! :thnk
2006wedding Posts: 965
Hopefully07 i am no expert but theres no way your employer can sack you coz you are pregnant. hope it all works oout for you
Idina Posts: 1289
It's against the law to sack someone for being pregnant!
No he's not going to "sack" me as such but he's going to say that they don't really need me anymore IYKWIM????????? He'll offer me redundancy and say the company is on a slow down turn!!!!! so he'll get away with it like that.......(he's given EVERY girl in here who was either pregnant or had a baby redundancy so it's kinda a given really!!!) I honestly don't really care but I am only going if I get my redundancy AND my state Maternity pay, just wondering if I get the Redundancy will I NOT get Sate Maternity pay as well???.... Thanks again girls!
Idina Posts: 1289
It still sounds like it's illegal but can't help with the maternity pay-sorry!
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
I think you have to be 24 weeks gone or something. Check out oasis.gov.ie
molls Posts: 149
Firstly, you need to be in employment at the commencement of your maternity leave to qualify for maternity benefit. Therefore, if you are laid off/made redundant before then you will not get maternity benefit. Secondly, there are very strict rules in relation to selecting people for redundancy. If a person is selected because they are pregnant, that is an unfair reason and the redundancy would actually be an unfair dismissal. This could cost an employer a LOT of money. Bear in mind too, that you are entitled to written notice of a redundancy. This is the longer of the amount set out in your contract or the statutory amount depending on your length of service. If he starts making any noises about lay offs/redundancy tell him immediately that that is not something you would accept and you will be discussing your right (or have discussed them) with the Department of Trade & Enterprise or Employment Appeals Tribunal. Do NOT agree to anything or sign anything. If he is going to make your life hell and you don't want to go back anyway, you might want to consider taking your maternity leave as soon as possible, at 24 weeks.
charli Posts: 5994
hope i am not confusing matters but dont know if this is correct [quote:2ry68rga]Firstly, you need to be in employment at the commencement of your maternity leave to qualify for maternity benefit[/quote:2ry68rga] doesnt the form say claims made for 2008 (be the time she goes out) are based on PRSI contributions in 2004 and part of the form also states "if you have left work, when did you leave"? thats just on mat benefit dont know about redundancy
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
I think you have to be 24 weeks gone or something. Check out oasis.gov.ie
Brilliant thanks for that molls, I am willing to leave (if he wants me too) but I am not leaving if he is ONLY going to offer me redundancy, and then I lose out on the state maternity pay it just wouldn’t be worth it, I am the longest in service here in the company and with their track record on letting pregnant/new mothers go I certainly would have a case against them IF it did arise! I’ll tell him in two weeks and see how he takes it (am afraid to tell him any earlier cause he treated the other girls like dogs when they were pregnant and I don’t think I could take 4 months off that!!!) but at 20 weeks I am finding it hard to “Hid” my bump (even though I am EMTREMLY proud of it!) Thank God I was talking to somebody regarding this today as I would have thought I'd be entitled to the state Maternity pay even if I was to be paid Redundancy now!!!