Redundancy while on maternity leave??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

brideeee Posts: 1490
Hi ladies, I hope you can help me. I am due in Feb and my current contract runs out in March, my question is, can they make me redundant while I am on maternity leave? thanks, x brideeeee
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
Hi, your contract is up AFTER you will go on maternity leave - is that right? I would doubt any company would make a pregnant woman redundant without serious good cause. Are redundancies likely in the near future? I posted about this also. The company i work for is being sold so we will be let go but may not be for another 6 months. But just to be on the safe side im telling them im pregnant today in the hopes it will discourage them from considering letting me go earlier than i need. Good luck.
fire fly Posts: 1241
i was made redundant when I was 5mths pregnant, the company closed down, so what happens is you start recieving your maternity benefit straight away. Not great for after you have the baby though...
Chicken Licken Posts: 873
Here ya go...here's the legal side... [b:1qx8az22]Can an employee be made redundant while on Maternity Leave or on Additional Maternity Leave?[/b:1qx8az22] No. Notice of Redundancy (included in RP50) cannot issue when a person is on Maternity Leave or indeed on Additional Maternity Leave. The Equality Authority are the experts on this and callers can be referred to them at (01) 4173333. (Lo Call – 1890 24 55 45). [b:1qx8az22]Are Maternity Leave, Additional Maternity and Parental Leave reckonable for redundancy calculation purposes?[/b:1qx8az22] From the 1st March 2007 the first 26 weeks of maternity leave are fully reckonable for redundancy calculation purposes (up from 22 weeks since the 1st of March 2006). Furthermore, in respect of all redundancies notified/declared on or after 10th April, 2005, additional maternity leave is also reckonable. The same applies to protective leave or natal care absence within the meaning of the Maternity Protection Act 1994. Again, all this applies only to the 3 year period ending on the date of termination of employment. Absences from employment before that period (in respect of all redundancies notified/declared on or after 10th April, 2005) are always fully reckonable. The full 14 weeks of parental leave are fully reckonable for redundancy purposes (under the Parental Leave Act, 1998). So also is force majeure leave within the meaning of the Parental Leave Act 1998. Again, the 3 year rule referred to above applies here also.
brideeee Posts: 1490
Thanks girls, good to know they can't get rid of me :thnk
satsuma Posts: 182
Hey just a question - it may be relevant if you are on a fixed term contract. if that is the case then you are technically not being made redundant, the contract merely comes to an end. Do you know if that's the case?