SayNoTo1890.com

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Diamondz Posts: 2208
Just thought this might be useful for some of you... you can go onto the site and get alternative number for the lo call and national rate numbers (1890, 0818 etc) advertised by companies so that the call is included in any free minutes offered by your phone provider... I get all my local and national calls free (including UK landlines) but it doens't include these lo call numbers - I had a €30+ charge from phong Sky with a complaint!!! O:| O:| You can look up an alternative number for different companies at [url:15t5b5mf]http://www.saynoto1890.com/a-to-z/[/url:15t5b5mf] I'm not affiliated in any way BTW :o0 but it bugs the crap out of me that my bill can be so expensive as a result of so called "lo-call" numbers!!!
LastRolo Posts: 6892
Thanks!
Elban26 Posts: 2458
Thanks for the heads up Diamondz, must check it out!
soulful Posts: 1697
thank you O:o)
TracyBarlow Posts: 943
Whats the rational behind lo-call numbers, especially when most people get free local and national calls in their bundles? Do the companies using these numbers get a % of the call cost? Or some kickback from the service provider? Surely there should be an alternative national number other than the lo call number?! Like the government departments do. And if the companies using these numbers gain no financial reward, then why should they care how we get in contact with them! Seems a little bit suss to me.
[quote="cherrychapstick":uqmpjeco]Whats the rational behind lo-call numbers, especially when most people get free local and national calls in their bundles? Do the companies using these numbers get a % of the call cost? Or some kickback from the service provider? Surely there should be an alternative national number other than the lo call number?! Like the government departments do. And if the companies using these numbers gain no financial reward, then why should they care how we get in contact with them! Seems a little bit suss to me.[/quote:uqmpjeco] An 1890 number is known as a LoCall number. It was devised to allow customers call businesses from all over the country, but for a flat local rate. So, you could call a business in Dublin for the same cost as calling a business around the corner. An 1850 number is known as a CallSave number. It was devised to allow customers call businesses from all over the country, but for a flat rate no matter how long you’re on the phone to them. So, you could call a business in Dublin or around the corner for 1 minute or 31 minutes, all for the same cost. These numbers where originally devised before there was major competition in the telephone market in Ireland. Now, with the advent of more than just Eircom in the home landline market, and with the vast mobile market, call costs to 1890 numbers can vary widely – from 5c per minute (the original target price) to 31c per minute on some mobiles. [b:uqmpjeco]An 0818 number is known as a National Call number. This type of phone number was devised to allow businesses charge an extra small premium above the regular cost of the call.[/b:uqmpjeco] Therefore, any companies that provide this type of phone number as a contact point are actually making money from their customers calling them. Most phone companies don't include any of these numbers in your free bundle minutes on your mobile or on your included evening and weekend calls on your landline package. But is you get the actual office number the call can be free!! It is the same in the UK for 0845 numbers....
Yep, im aware of the history of them, just wondering why companies are still using them, when they are not in fact lo-call numbers anymore for most people. Apart from the 0818 number, the rest dont seem to offer any financial benefit to the company, only a premium charge to the customer, so why do some still only offer the so called lo-call number?! And more to the point, why is there no regulation of these numbers, and a requirement in law to make companies provide an alternative geographical number, especially given the current economic situation, for both company and customer, they should be encouraging customers to call them by offering different ways to get in touch! O:|
Crostini Posts: 1105
hmm isn't the new banking 365 number start with 0818??? grrr
Completely agree with your Cherrychapstick - so annoying >:o( And yes Crostini Banking 365 is an 0818 number O:| O:| but you can get an alternative number on the above website.....
I cant believe the banks are making money off us this way too!!! :eek :eek I would say ring Joe Duffy, only god knows how much that will cost you! :o0