Self-employed Wollies....

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

winklefairy Posts: 907
So who else is out there? Been thinking for a while it'd be nice to have a little Wol group where we could discuss/ whinge about the difficult bits, and maybe give each other a bit of advice and support...? Ok, I'll start. Today I'm filling out a form for a local Entrepreneur award thing....I know I won't win anything, but by entering you automatically get a stand at the award ceremony - at which Enda Kenny will be presenting the awards and it's a good networking opportunity. Anyway, I hate hate filling out these things - where do you see your business in 5 years? erm...hopefully still open! Why do you think you deserve this award? Well, not really sure that I do actually! I find it so hard to talk myself up for these things. Right, anyone else? Edited to add my website: www.bonecarving.ie
Twinkle toe Posts: 1025
Not self employed Winkle fairy (bit envious that you are your own boss!!) But I've seen your website & u make lovely items. A suggestion for future years could be to take your workshop on the road (not sure if this is fesible for you?). At electric Picnic this year there was a huge craft section which I loved!! I got to do pottery & decorate it by fire throwing it. I also got to make a tree spirit under the expert guidance of a wood carver & OH made me a lovely necklace out of copper. Bloom (I think) offer something similar. That way you can have a ball at the festival but also spread the word of your great work......
happyeverafterinvites Posts: 228
Can I join? I hate form filling with a passion. Have one here for that's glaring at me. Two forms actually. I know that I should just get them out of the way at the beginning of the day but it's not in my nature.
[quote="Twinkle toe":3bqieh0q]Not self employed Winkle fairy (bit envious that you are your own boss!!) But I've seen your website & u make lovely items. A suggestion for future years could be to take your workshop on the road (not sure if this is fesible for you?). At electric Picnic this year there was a huge craft section which I loved!! I got to do pottery & decorate it by fire throwing it. I also got to make a tree spirit under the expert guidance of a wood carver & OH made me a lovely necklace out of copper. Bloom (I think) offer something similar. That way you can have a ball at the festival but also spread the word of your great work......[/quote:3bqieh0q] Aw, thanks Twinkle Toe. I have thought about the Electric Picnic thing....it might be a bit difficult to organise portable workshops but it's something I might look into for next year. Bloom is a bit expensive to have a stand at - it's always a cost vs potential return gamble with craft fairs so I don't do too many of them. If you're ever in Galway call in to the shop and say hi! [quote="happyeverafterinvites":3bqieh0q]Can I join? I hate form filling with a passion. Have one here for that's glaring at me. Two forms actually. I know that I should just get them out of the way at the beginning of the day but it's not in my nature.[/quote:3bqieh0q] I just had a look at your website happyeverafterinvites, your work is lovely. Hope it's going well for you.....despite the glaring forms!
ianstuart Posts: 1947
Count me in , id love a great big moan about gathering all the crap for the accountant this month. Its a pain in the arse O:|
theoracle Posts: 7664
Self-assessment, ey? I hear ya! The thing with award forms is you can write you wildest ambitions down - in 5 years time, I will have 3 more workshops open nationwide, for example. You could operate a franchise network. Work with fashion designers (carved bone has that uniqueness and edginess). Sky is the limit really! Regarding deserving the award, I am not sure what theme the award has (it is just general entrepreneurial?), but you could write here about reviving an ancient craft and the uniqueness of your business idea. I had to write up a 500 word essay today on why I started my own business. The waffle I came up with was horrendeous!
Thanks Theoracle....I really hate these things - the bullsh*t just doesn't come naturally. It is just a general entrepreneurial award so I just have to talk myself up I guess! Re financial projections (for 3 and 5 years) - do you think it's best to be conservative and realistic (let's face it, we all know the Celtic Tiger isn't going to come running back any time soon), or is it better to show ambition and say you expect to be a millionaire in 5 years' time?!
theoracle Posts: 7664
[quote="winklefairy":3bvwfjh4]Thanks Theoracle....I really hate these things - the bullsh*t just doesn't come naturally. It is just a general entrepreneurial award so I just have to talk myself up I guess! Re financial projections (for 3 and 5 years) - do you think it's best to be conservative and realistic (let's face it, we all know the Celtic Tiger isn't going to come running back any time soon), or is it better to show ambition and say you expect to be a millionaire in 5 years' time?![/quote:3bvwfjh4] It is best to be realistic and conservative. You will have to be able to rationalise and support your numbers. If you have ever watched the Dragons Den you would have seen how they take apart somebody with 'millionaire in 6 months' claims. BS numbers are easily spotted. You are working also with certain limitations - max number of hours a week you can hold a workshop during, class size constraints etc so if you want to realistically project growth you will have to expand premises, hire more people, open a second shop or diversify your services/products etc. To earn millions you might have to have 100 shops, for example, so it would easily be spotted as impossible and unrealistic.
MrsAtobe Posts: 1158
[quote="winklefairy":1rg41gfq]So who else is out there? Been thinking for a while it'd be nice to have a little Wol group where we could discuss/ whinge about the difficult bits, and maybe give each other a bit of advice and support...? Ok, I'll start. Today I'm filling out a form for a local Entrepreneur award thing....I know I won't win anything, but by entering you automatically get a stand at the award ceremony - at which Enda Kenny will be presenting the awards and it's a good networking opportunity. Anyway, I hate hate filling out these things - where do you see your business in 5 years? erm...hopefully still open! Why do you think you deserve this award? Well, not really sure that I do actually! I find it so hard to talk myself up for these things. Right, anyone else? Edited to add my website: www.bonecarving.ie[/quote:1rg41gfq] I've entered that too! I didn't know it gets you a stand at the ceremony?!! That's awesome!! Just sent off my form last night, don't think I'll get anywhere but sure I figured I might as well enter. Edit: I don't find it too hard to talk myself up for these things, I always say nobody else is going to do it, if I want to get anywhere I have to be confident that I can.
Sheldonsfan Posts: 350
Not got any imput to the self employed aspect but just wanted to say I just had a look at your bone carving website and it's fab! Won't manage a trip to Gallway this side of Xmas but I might get in touch with you to get a voucher as an Xmas pressie for my mum and we can head down and make a weekend of it as a mother daughter day out :) Best of luck with your awards!