Menu

Should you stop the pill before surgery?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

WifeZilla Posts: 1222
Anybody know if you should stop taking the pill if you're planning on having surgery?
Nolongerwollie Posts: 2181
I think you should stop 4-6 weeks before surgery but your doc should be able to tell you for definite. HTH
WonderWol Posts: 2927
Yes, I had keyhole surgery a few years ago and I had to stop taking my pill - just can't remember for how long before but the hospital should tell you.
WifeZilla Posts: 1222
It's gas 'cos i rang the doc and 'cos it's the mini-pill she was like "No, keep taking it" but when i read the back of the pamphlet in the box it says to stop taking 4 wks before surgery and i told her this and she was like "Sher if it's for your own peace of mind". Feckign doctors. I think i'll stop taking it to be safe and go back on it afterwards.
Christmas B Posts: 6191
How would the pill affect an operation?
mad woman Posts: 22106
its six weeks before any operations..think it has something got do iwth the clotting of the blood
autumbride Posts: 413
[quote:1usv4ur8]It's gas 'cos i rang the doc and 'cos it's the mini-pill she was like "No, keep taking it" but when i read the back of the pamphlet in the box it says to stop taking 4 wks before surgery and i told her this and she was like "Sher if it's for your own peace of mind". Feckign doctors. I think i'll stop taking it to be safe and go back on it afterwards.[/quote:1usv4ur8] God i can't believe the doctor said that..yeah you have to stop taking it about 6 weeks before surgery. The pill can cause clots in your blood and the risk of this happening is higher when you have surgery Best of luck with the surgery bridey widey
Grace Ann Posts: 2464
get the secretary to check with the surgeon for you. it depends on the surgeon too..
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
I had an operation 2 years ago the surgeon told me to stop the pill immediately. Greater risk of blood clotting like the others said. This is actually quite serious, you must stop at least 4 weeks before surgery.
mammybean Posts: 10364
i was only researchong my pill on the net the other day, why i dont know, but anyway i am on cilest and it said stop taking 4-6 weeks before surgery. I think you need a new doctor