Silly Q: Breast Pads and Sanitary Towels

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lovethesite Posts: 1054
Sorry girl, I am going to sound sooooo stupid but will ask anway. Firstly do you need breast pads if you are NOT breastfeeding? and if you have a section do you still need loads of those big maternity pads? Thanks xx
sunny505 Posts: 1807
Yes and yes!! You will still leak even if you decide not to Breastfeed. And you will still bleed if you have c section.
ciaraella Posts: 5323
If you're not b'feeding you will more than likely still leak some milk so the pads are handy for this. And yes if you have a section (i had one) you will still bleed, probably for a few weeks anyway, so you will still need the maternity pads.
bobby2012 Posts: 644
Re breast pads - leaking has little to do with breastfeeding or not. Whether you leak or not you'll only find out when it happens. Some women need them, some don't. Csection - your uterus still needs to empty, regardless of ow you gave birth, so I would say yes, but there's more experienced people than me on the subject here. It just may not leak as much as post vaginal birth.
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I never used one breast pad, and I'm still doing two feeds a day. Never leaked at all. I used normal pads after my section, the hospital yokes were awful.
ciaraella Posts: 5323
You might get an indication of leaking in the next few weeks, in my 38/39th week of pg i used to wake up with my pjs soaked from leaky boobs :-8
Winter B2B Posts: 3494
[quote="ciaraella":23l6u8lt]You might get an indication of leaking in the next few weeks, in my 38/39th week of pg i used to wake up with my pjs soaked from leaky boobs :-8[/quote:23l6u8lt] I never leaked before either babies were born, after the birth, the milk literally poured out of me. In relation to sanitary towels. After C-section I bled less but for longer so I only used towels for about a week but needed panty liners for about 2 weeks as I kept bleeding lightly. this is prefectly normal. AFter C-Section it's also normal for the bleeding to stop and start.
23Daisy Posts: 416
I must be the only person that has had to use breast pads while pregnant!! Op I agree with the others you should have both but it seems not everyone needs to use breast pads (lucky them!).
gopro Posts: 1801
I used breast pads- I actually only leaked web a baby cried (even on tv!) seemingly that's normal I had viganil birth. but the one thing I'd say is that no one could of prepared me for the volume of bleeding for 5weeks
CestMoi Posts: 2162
23Daisy your not alone. I've leaked for over half my pregnancy both times! Very annoying. OP - don't know if having a section and not BF'ing will mean your less inclined to leak after birth, but have a few just in case. The maternity pads will be a must as everyone has said.