silly question Re:Maternity Clothes

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Barbara Ann Posts: 1032
Hi everyone :wv I know its very early days but I was just wondering how do you go about buying maternity clothes. I'm a size 16 so does that mean I continue to buy size 16 in maternity clothes and they just stretch to fit you? Also I noticed that the shops sell over the bump jeans or normal looking jeans. Which do you think are more comfortable to wear? Told you they were silly questions but I haven't a clue :eek
short n sweet Posts: 1802
Barbara Ann congrats on your pregnancy first of all Yes if you are a 16 now you buy 16 maternity - I made the mistake - I was a 12 before and bought 14 maternity pants (I mean trousers not knickers :o0 ) and they are too big for me I prefer the over the bump jeans as I find them more comfortable personally but I am sure others will tell you they prefer the under bump ones - just a matter of trying and seeing which you like better
Babybop. Posts: 592
Im usual an 8 but got a 10 and they fit perfect. Maybe try them on just incase.
short n sweet Posts: 1802
Barbara Ann congrats on your pregnancy first of all Yes if you are a 16 now you buy 16 maternity - I made the mistake - I was a 12 before and bought 14 maternity pants (I mean trousers not knickers :o0 ) and they are too big for me I prefer the over the bump jeans as I find them more comfortable personally but I am sure others will tell you they prefer the under bump ones - just a matter of trying and seeing which you like better
tinyfairy Posts: 1536
Hi Barbara Ann, No question is silly! Yep you just buy a size 16 in maternity clothes. Some of them can be quite big though so you might need a 14 in some. Although I did that in the beginning and now the smaller sizes don't fit me now! Best sticking to the 16 I think. I love the over the bump jeans, just for pure comfort. In the early stages I had below the bump jeans but after about 17 weeks they were so uncomfortable, falling down and not sitting right, the over the bump ones have lasted me until now. Although I have to say I'm living in linen trousers, most comfy of all!! Dunnes have black and beige ones in there maternity section for 25euro, a bargain!!!! Happy Shopping! :wv
tinyfairy Posts: 1536
Hi Barbara Ann, No question is silly! Yep you just buy a size 16 in maternity clothes. Some of them can be quite big though so you might need a 14 in some. Although I did that in the beginning and now the smaller sizes don't fit me now! Best sticking to the 16 I think. I love the over the bump jeans, just for pure comfort. In the early stages I had below the bump jeans but after about 17 weeks they were so uncomfortable, falling down and not sitting right, the over the bump ones have lasted me until now. Although I have to say I'm living in linen trousers, most comfy of all!! Dunnes have black and beige ones in there maternity section for 25euro, a bargain!!!! Happy Shopping! :wv
shootingstar Posts: 1340
Hi Barbara Ann I bought a size up in Maternity clothes as i have alot of fluid retention around the bum and hips area, can still buy my size 10 in Maternity as teh grow with me!!! Ive bought a pair of combats in Dorothy Perkins and they are full stretch waist band, and they are so comfy, as well as buyin the black trousers for over the bump, they are so comfy!!! Ive bough teh side stretch jeans from Next! and they are just as comfy! just depends when you try them on and see what you like?! HTH :thnk
Im usual an 8 but got a 10 and they fit perfect. Maybe try them on just incase.
Double post O:|
sunnyside Posts: 3164
yes buy your normal size (in fact in some cases the normal size in maternity was too big). I definitely prefer the over the bump trousers/skirts. I found from about 12 weeks on I hated anything restricting my tummy and the under the bump clothes seemed to start just below belly button and irritate me- also I think they are harder to keep up and I spent ages pulling them up as they feel like they are too low. Personal preference though. I bought most things online as I couldn't be bothered going round the shops and queuing for changing rooms.