smear test

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

fizzbomb Posts: 198
ok, at the risk of sounding totally stupid here - whats a smear test like? I've been putting this off for ages now, but I;ve finally bit the bullet and got an appointment. Is it painful or just embarassing? :-8
theoracle Posts: 7664
You are doing the right thing here, it is so important to have one done. If you ever had an internal examination, it is basically the same, they take a swab to collect cells from the cervix which are then send off for examination. It is slightly uncomfortable and should not hurt if you relax as much as poss. They use a gel for insertion of the speculum so that also helps. Some women find it more distressing than others, but I had a few of them done and don't give it a second thought now, it is important to look after yourself though so well done on booking the appt!
Helenl123 Posts: 1457
I got one done a few months back, its free now so there is no excuse really not to get it done. Its more uncomfortable than sore,,, I just found i felt a bit crampy after it for a few hours.. then it passed. I felt like i was getting those.. like that kind of crampy feeling, but it did pass in a few hours... It took about 6 weeks to get the results by letter and got the all clear, was very happy i went and got it done, its so important if anything is wrong to catch it all early.
early days Posts: 691
Dont worry about it too much, the thought of it is worse than the test itself. I'm having one on Wednesday, and whilst I'm not exactly looking forward to it, it's better to have it done than not to.
kala Posts: 1937
had to get one done recently after giving birth in july and eventhough i'd gone through the whole birthing experience etc i still felt a tad embarassed getting it done.
red_rubies Posts: 2424
Agree with the others. The thought of it is worse than the actual proceedure! It's a little bit uncomfortable, not sore. The more you relax, the easier it is. Honestly, once it's done, you will be wondering why you were worried about it in the first place! It's over in minutes & well worth the peace of mind!
whackywoman Posts: 1496
got one done on Thursday and to be honest I did not feel a thing when she was finished I was like was that it. Have had them done before and never minded as it is great to have the peace of mind
littlemisshopeful Posts: 6101
I put mine off for ages as well. Couldn't stand the thought of it! I finally got one done last august. I couldn't believe why I was worrying in the first place. The doctor was really nice and used the smallest speculum she had. Try and get a small one and it will be easier. The most important thing is to relax and not tense up your muscles, as that is what can make it uncomfortable. Best of luck. Mine was normal and took over three months to come back, so don't worry if it takes a while.