So sick...how long does this last?!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lulu126 Posts: 1095
Does anyone have that horrible cold/chest infection that's doing the rounds at the moment? Loads of people I know seem to have it/have had it and my 8 month old nephew has kindly passed it on to me. How long does it last? As you can see from my ticker, I'm under some time pressure with 9 days to go! Am taking all the cold/flu remedies under the sun and nothing's even remotely kicking it. REALLY don't want to be coughing going up the aisle. Help! :o(
Rocksie80 Posts: 4045
Hi lulu126 My mum has had it twice now, and both times needed an antibiotic to shift it. Her immunity is pretty bad at the best of times due to previous illness, but the OTC remedies were not working for her at all. Maybe ask your pharmacist what the strongest thing they can give you is, and if you should see the doc? On top of that, plenty of hot drinks, vitamins and try to sleep it off as much as you can. Think I am getting it myself now, as haven't been 100% the last few days and can feel it in my throat and chest. Poxy bug. Good luck, I hope you're better soon and that you have a great day x
popple Posts: 1368
I have it 3 weeks now, well it started as a cold and turned into broncitis. As per my ticker I can't take much for it but I did go to the doctor and was precribed two inhalers. It was the coughing that was keeping me up at night. They have really helped and I'm nearly clear. Hope it clears for you soon but if its still hanging about, esp a cough, go to the doc.
ghostchild2 Posts: 6237
I had a horrible viral chest infection back in June. Had it 3 weeks and then it changed to bronchitis and had to get antibotics to clear it. It comepletely floored me.
SunnyK Posts: 3834
[quote="Rocksie80":1ifoxws9]think I am getting it myself now, as haven't been 100% the last few days and can feel it in my throat and chest. Poxy bug.[/quote:1ifoxws9] That wine last night may not have helped! ;o) :hic
mrswifey2012 Posts: 2042
[quote="SunnyK":31wjj0an][quote="Rocksie80":31wjj0an]think I am getting it myself now, as haven't been 100% the last few days and can feel it in my throat and chest. Poxy bug.[/quote:31wjj0an] That wine last night may not have helped! ;o) :hic[/quote:31wjj0an] Jeez sunnyk, you taking up stalking Wollies now?! ;o)
Rocksie80 Posts: 4045
The wine was purely medicinal, it washed down the Strepsils ;o) :o0
SunnyK Posts: 3834
[quote="mrswifey2012":3rzoaru2][quote="SunnyK":3rzoaru2][quote="Rocksie80":3rzoaru2]think I am getting it myself now, as haven't been 100% the last few days and can feel it in my throat and chest. Poxy bug.[/quote:3rzoaru2] That wine last night may not have helped! ;o) :hic[/quote:3rzoaru2] Jeez sunnyk, you taking up stalking Wollies now?! ;o)[/quote:3rzoaru2] I'd be hard pushed to stalk Rocksie with a few hundred kilometers between us!! :o0 OP - I always swear by the Boots own brand cold and flu tabs for a bad headcold / flu ... for me they work even better than the bigger brands. I know it won't completely knock a chest infection on the head but might help with a lot of curling up under the duvet for the next week! Get well soon!
lulu126 Posts: 1095
Thanks for the advice girls. Have been coughing up nasty yellow stuff (sorry TMI!) all day and I don't have 3 weeks to wait and see so I'm going to go see the GP tonight and see if he can give me anything to help. Really don't want to be walking up the aisle in 9 days time like a barking seal with this cough! Sunny K, I'm going straight to Boots too to try that one out too!