Submitting Notice for Maternity Leave to Employers

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sapphire09 Posts: 393
Does anyone know if the employer has to 'agree' when you go on Maternity Leave or if the employee has the right to say when they go? I know legally you have to go at least 2 weeks before your due date but if you wanted to go earlier than that can the employer legally refuse? Thanks xx
Finished here Posts: 2860
Hi ya, My understanding is that you can leave up to four weeks before your due date but must leave two weeks before. If you leave before the four weeks then you must get a GP letter or letter from the hospital and be signed off on sick leave so technically your employer can not say yes or no unless you were trying to stay at work less than two weeks before baby due - if that makes sense !
So I can't go on Maternity Leave more than 4 weeks before my due date? I was under the impression that we could choose when to go on Maternity but at least 2 weeks before the due date?
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
I thought you could take your leave anytime between 16wks and 2wks before due date. You'd be better off to ring the Mat Ben office and ask them. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... nity_leave
Thanks, I contacted the Equality Authority and they confirmed you can go on maternity leave up to between 2 & 16 weeks before your due date and your employer cannot refuse, however you have to give 4 weeks written notice.