"surprise" birthday parties...anyone else sick of them?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Little Miss Hopeful Posts: 1193
I didn't feel strongly enough to post this in "let off Steam" but is anyone else sick of "surprise" birthday parties. WE have been to I'd say six in the last 2 years and most of them are the same group of friends - like come on at this stage surely they are aware that their partner is organising a surprise party and at this stage they are starting to grate on me. I'm not a big party person myself my 21st and 30th went without a party but i understand if people want to organise their own party to celebrate but its the surprise element i am sick of, like come on. So most of my friends have hit the big 30 and we have another surprise party at the end of the summer and probably one next year but in another ten years i'm dreading to think of the "surprise party" 40th's? God i'm sounding grinch like here.
Jawl Posts: 8881
yes!! :o0 Any excuse to party I say, you should embrace every birthday and celebrate, who knows if we'll see the next big one :)
no its not the party bit i dislike, its the whole pretence thing when you know that the person probably knows that a surprise party is being organised because they already organised one for their partners birthday the year before etc.
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
I've only ever been to two surprise parties! One years ago and one for my sister a few weeks ago. In both cases it was genuinely a surprise and both ladies really enjoyed it. If you don't want to go OP, next time just decline the invitation and give yourself a break from them. (Ps: yes, you do sound a bit like a grinch, but sure we're all entitled to from time to time!)
ha ok sounding like a grinch. Like i said we have been to a lot of surprise parties so maybe if i thought they were genuine surprised it would be more enjoyable - it just seems the in thing to do with our group of friends.
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
It might be that the person holding the party might want to do all the work and take on all the expense without the birthday girl having to do it, if you get me? So by holding a surprise party, the birthday girl is almost obliged not to do any work? So while she might know there's a party in her honour, the 'surprise' thing is a way of keeping her out of the arrangements and not giving her any work to do, rather than being genuinley 'oh my God, I'm so surprised'. That probably doesn't make any sense, but I know what I mean!!
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
I'm with you Little Miss Hopeful. Have no problem with the dinner / drinks / party or whatever else is organised....as a matter of fact, I'm all for them! We love our social life! :hic It's the "surprise" thing. When it came around to our 30th birthdays it worked for the first one....was brilliant in fact. The girl in question had tears streaming down her face as she had no idea whatsoever what was in store. After the 5th or 6th "surprise" party however, I'm afraid that element of surprise was well and truly spent. It was ridiculous and if we had that rolly eyes icon well that pretty much summed up everyone's reaction to them......including the birthday boy / girl.
queen30 Posts: 1551
bit of a nasty surprise if they didnt get a party then! we've only had one surprise bday in my group of friends (i threw it) it was a few years ago and wasnt for a "special" bday so was a genuine surprise.
BusyDee Posts: 8527
I dont understand - what difference does it make to you if the person is surprised or not??? Your happy to go to the party but just dont like the surprise thing? Maybe its coz your not the one on the receiving end of the surprise! Any surprise birthday parties Ive been to were usually done a week or 2 before the actual birthday so while the person might have an inkling that something was going to happen they were surprised when it happened if you get me. Also some people may act surprised even if they arent to just not upset the person organising it. I had a surprise party thrown for me by my friend when I was going to australia for a year. The week before I met a girl I knew in town and she proceeded to tell me that sorry she couldnt make my party :duh: :duh: she nearly died when she realised I didnt know about it. Im sure someone along the way wasnt arSed to tell her it was a surprise O:| I told her not to worry that I wouldnt say anything. So I just went along with it as I know my friend would have felt awful that I found out. I just wouldnt have had the heart to tell her so to this day she knows no different! At my 21st my friend came from Scotland to surprise me but just before she arrived I met her sisters friend who told me isnt it great that X came home for my party. Cue more embarrassment (seriously what is wrong with people, if in doubt say nothing :duh: ) so I again promised not to say anything and did my best surprise act when I saw her.
barneyrubble Posts: 252