Telling work

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

goingmad Posts: 657
Hey girlies, I was just wondering when you are all going to tell them in work that you are expecting?? Yesterday got me thinking that I might have to tell them soon, I was in the hospital for so long I don't think I'll get away with another visit there without telling them. Let me know what ye think anyways *) *)
tropical Posts: 247
Hi going mad I only told my boss today!!!!!!!!! He was grand, a little shocked at my due date being quite close though!!
Hi Tropical, How did you manage getting time off for your appointments?
tropical Posts: 247
Well we are currently on a 3 day week so its been handy enough to get around appointments. Also if we work a saturday we get a day off during the week so i have been able to make appointments easily.
[quote="tropical":1foiojqn]Well we are currently on a 3 day week so its been handy enough to get around appointments. Also if we work a saturday we get a day off during the week so i have been able to make appointments easily.[/quote:1foiojqn] Oh you're so lucky - I'd never be able to do that
Mrs.G Posts: 1828
I told my boss just this week, he was great about it. You are entitled by law to take time off for your appointments and also pre-natal classes, so don't even worry about that.
[quote="Mrs.G":4w9e7re5]I told my boss just this week, he was great about it. You are entitled by law to take time off for your appointments and also pre-natal classes, so don't even worry about that.[/quote:4w9e7re5] So do you think I should just go ahead & tell them?? I'm back for another hospital appointment in 4 weeks & I don't want to have to think of another lie.
babybuzz Posts: 474
if your happy enough at telling people then tell him. i told my boss at 8 weeks he was delighted for us.
Mrs.G Posts: 1828
[quote="goingmad":3cahfng5][quote="Mrs.G":3cahfng5]I told my boss just this week, he was great about it. You are entitled by law to take time off for your appointments and also pre-natal classes, so don't even worry about that.[/quote:3cahfng5] So do you think I should just go ahead & tell them?? I'm back for another hospital appointment in 4 weeks & I don't want to have to think of another lie.[/quote:3cahfng5] I think it should be fine. You don't have to tell everyone in work, just whoever you have to tell for time off. Don't worry.. this happens all the time and don't feel one bit guilty about it! Like I said, you are entitled, so there is nothing they can say about it anyway!
sunsparks Posts: 2196
DH and I are currently debating this - I'm due to meet with my manager on Monday to set goals for the year and would like to tell at that meeting, so I can be upfront about the need for a replacement during the second half of the year. Otherwise I'll feel like a fraud laying all these plans and not being honest. DH disagrees completely and reckons I should wait as long as possible. TBH, I'm going to follow my own instinct on this. I'm lucky enough to be in a secure job, mind it's a one-person team job, so I desperately need to ensure that they replace me so that the work continues and they continue to see the value of the role. I'm also lucky in that it's a family-friendly workplace - certainly in terms of mat leave anyway. I don't see what I would gain by keeping it secret for longer. (Plus, and I'm so paranoid about this, I have a facebook a/c on which loads of my colleagues are friends. I got an email from a close friend yesterday saying that another of her friends wanted to post a congrats on my wall but had the foresight to check with her first. I'm just waiting for the eejit who doesn't think first to announce it to all my colleagues online - cos this would normally be me!!)