Thrush

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

tanyababy. Posts: 511
Hi all. I had thrush a few months back and the doc told me to get pessaries and cream which I did. I found the pessary didnt agree with me at all, as I felt really faint and nauseous the next morning which were all signs of an allergy. But I think I have it again now so Im just going to use the cream. Does anyone know if the cream alone will cure it or do I need the pessary? How long does it take for the cream to work and do I need to put it on DH also for the same lenght of time?
Perci Posts: 3847
I suffered alot with thrush in my first pregnancy, not nice ;o( I think the cream just relieves the symptoms while the pessary actually fights the infection. I would ask the pharmacist to see if there's any alternative.
[quote:1wjspxkx]do I need to put it on DH also for the same lenght of time?[/quote:1wjspxkx] Just laughing at the way you wrote that, my DH wouldn't even touch the stuff (he thought it was just for girls!) never mind me 'putting it on him' :o0 Seriously though, if he has symptoms I would try to get him to use it I just couldn't persuade my DH!
tanyababy. Posts: 511
[quote="Augusta":218cwajo][quote:218cwajo]do I need to put it on DH also for the same lenght of time?[/quote:218cwajo] Just laughing at the way you wrote that, my DH wouldn't even touch the stuff (he thought it was just for girls!) never mind me 'putting it on him' :o0 Seriously though, if he has symptoms I would try to get him to use it I just couldn't persuade my DH![/quote:218cwajo] Well I told him it was either the cream or no nookie ever again so he wasnt long agreeing to it! :o0 I dont think he has the infection but just in case he has it, there would be no point me treating myself just for him to give it back to me.
Woodstock Posts: 1565
I ended up getting it after a course of antiobiotics to cure a sinusitis (the doctor warned me it would happen as he was writing the prescription!) He told me to get canesten (sp?) cream at the pharmacy. To be honest it took a long time to go, and that's putting that cream morning and evenings. I don't think you need to worry about your DH as it's not an infection and it's not contagious, it's just simply an imbalance of your own flora and the bacteria already present in our skin. Though i would avoid intercourses as it might irritate your skin even more. I found taking acidophilus helped also (it's a probiotic, you can get it in the pharmacy also) and i remember reading in wol that natural yogurt is good also.
allexcitednow Posts: 654
Hey tanyababy I feel so sorry for you!! I had it all through my pregnancy. My GP said no way to the pessary or cream but consultant said it was fine. I was afraid to use either after GP said no coz I really trust her judgement. but if your doc said it was fine then it must be - i'll remember that for future. The pessary is just the cream but to put it inside. the pessary usually works best but the only sure way is by taking the one off tablet (forget what its called) but you cant coz of baby. I found Lanacane was good for the itch. You should take probiotic yogurts drinks as well to boost your good bacteria!! As for the hubby - men cant get thrush and the wont get any symptoms, however they can be carriers so I'd get him a tube as well. Do everything you can to get rid of it! I had it up until the week before my DS was born and he has had thrush 6 times since he was born. It can be passed to the little ones very easy!! Good luck!
09Dreams Posts: 260
Yep men can get thrush and it's pretty nasty for them when they do. My DH has got it off me before! They can also be carriers even if they don't have any symptoms so there's really no point treating yourself unless you treat DH at the same time, otherwise it turns into a vicious circle and can take ages to clear up. I've suffered for years and always find the tablet (difucan) the best but you can't take that while pregnant, after that I'd recommend the pessarys and cream, I always found cream alone won't clear it. As someone else said, eating natural yogurt is good too. Hope it clears for you, it's really horrible
Was just about to say that men can indeed get thrush and my DH got it from me too, his mister was very sore and red! It is a yeast infection. Here's a link to some info from the vhi http://www.vhi.ie/hfiles/hf-328.jsp
Woodstock Posts: 1565
oh didn't know that. I always knew that it was just an imbalance of your own good bacteria and therefore wasn't contagious. Sorry about that then. Either way, i stopped all intercourses until it cleared, not so much because i thought it was contagious but more because i didn't want to rub/inflame the skin even more. It must be v. common during pregnancy ;o(
09Dreams Posts: 260
Yeah I think it's pretty common in pregnancy alright, I can't believe I haven't been struck yet seeing as I've had in on and off since I was 10! Now that I've said that, I've probably jinxed myself! A friend of mine had it at the time of labour and her baby got it from her during delivery, she had it in her mouth and then transferred it to my firends nipples during feeding! now that was a hassle to clear up with the constant cross contamination, never heard of that happening to anyone else before so I'd say it's pretty rare!